Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman ES

Any input on this machine guys?

Old 05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foreman ES

Search around, and you will find that there are a fair number of posts on problems with the ES system, so it's buyer beware on that one. For me, the foot shift model is simpler, and a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Otherwise, the machine has a good reputation. It is somewhat more utilitarian than what the trend is now in big bore(ing) utes.

I am considering one myself at the moment. We need another 4X4, but I just hate huge, heavy machines (and I hate automatics). So, its either another Rancher or a Foreman. The only reason I would pick the larger machine is that I can use the extra horsepower in case I have to pull someone who is broken down out of the mountains. But it's a singnificant 75 pounds heavier than the Rancher, and larger, so those are disadvantages that I have to weigh.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Foreman ES

I have a 2000, and have never had any problems with this machine, I love it. No problems with the ES, contrary to the other post, altho I adjust my clutch every couple of months, change the motor oil several times per season and change the diff oil every month or so. It is just like any other motor vehicle, take care of it and it will take care of you.

I did put a k and n filter on to increase the power a bit to handle the bigger blackwater tires I have.

Have fun
d

Old 05-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Foreman ES

well i just bought my rancher es and rode it hard twice so far (only had it like a week and a half) But i love it so far. My buddies both have hondas with the es program one is a 2000 rancher es and the other is an 02 forman both have riddin them hard all over the country (they love to ride in colorado) and have had zero probems. As far as power i think my 350 is plenty strong. I can hang with stock 400ex's until we get to some technical trails or big mud holes then i could pass them because of the 4x4. Also the 350 is lighter and a little more nimble than the bigger 500cc machines. Overall i dont think i could have found a better all around ride than my honda rancher es 4x4 especially for 4800.00 brand new. I recomend it highly

Old 05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Foreman ES

I have a 2000 Rancher 4x4 ES also. I know the guy who I bought it from a month ago. There has never been any problems at all with this machine. Especially the Electric Shift. This thing is great.

Kev

Old 05-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Foreman ES

I have a 2003 and love it. Its kind of a brute, and can feel like a tank, but itll go anywhere, as long as the rear diff doesnt get high centered. Always starts and runs like a champ, even at 10 degrees . No problems with mine, and i agree with doing the clutch adjustment every oil change, and make sure the battery stays charged...if it runs down, the es system will have issues.
Depending on the year, some were full time 4wd. I preferr the traxlox, which allows 2wd, too.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Foreman ES

wow, decisions, decisions. I am only going to tool around the yard, take it hunting to drag a deer out, maybe put a trail mower on the back etc. Do you think a Rancher will do all that? I would like a nimble machine for in the woods. How hard is it to adjust the clutch. I am no mechanic..

Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Foreman ES

Yep, the rancher will do that. If youre going to be going on a lawn you care about, make sure you can go to 2wd, or youll be shredding the yard on cornering.
Adjusting the clucj just consists on loosening a lock nut, turning a screw til it hits resistance and coming back 1/4 turn. Its so easy, and yet most owners dont do it. Its easier to adjust than changeing oil.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Foreman ES

so should I get the ES or foot shift?

Old 05-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Default Foreman ES

personally i've had problems with the ES my uncle had an ES with around 2000 miles on it when it began to fail, and i prefer the foot shift anyways, that way my hands are always on the handle bar, my dad has a 450S which is an amazing machine, i put 1200 miles on it and she runs like its brand new. personally tho i'd go foot shift

Quick Reply: Foreman ES