Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Problems w/ a '04 Honda Rancher AT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems w/ a '04 Honda Rancher AT

Ok my quad is two years old now, and this problem has been going on for about a year and a half. It's been to three different dealers and everyone says there's no problem.. I say yes there is...

Ok I'm on my 3rd battery already... and if you leave the quad sit for 4-6 days the battery is completely 100% dead! And to start it, you got to pull start it.. if you've been riding all day, turn it off and then go to start it, it'll start. So oblivioiusly its charging the quad but there has to be a drain on it or something. Can anyone help me?

My quad has been 'babied' since I've owned it. It's never been rolled and has had regular maintance on it as well. The only thing I can think of is that my ex got it stuck on an embankment coming out of a shallow creek (the water/mud was not even to the foot boards)and had to be pulled out because the rear end was just on a tree root. But other than that, thats the only thing I could think of that may have something to do with this.

Anyone have any suggestions or anything?? I've tried dealing with Honda but they give me the wole run-around and I never get anywhere with them...

BTW if my quad didn't have this problem, how much would it sell for right now? It has the GPS and a winch on it too.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

I'd say you've handled it the polite way, it's now time for you to take it back to the dealer that sold it to you and get loud. Be obnoxious and demand that they fix it. There's no way that they can look you in the eye and honestly tell you that there is nothing wrong with it.

Of course something is wrong with it. Somewhere there is a draw or short where the electricity is going.

It's time to talk to the manager/owner of that dealership.

Kev

Old 05-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I talked to them (just got off the phone actually) and I have to buy a new battery (since I've had this one for 7 months.. one month too long for the warranty...grr!) and if it does it again (I'm pretty sure it will...) I have to make an appointment.

I was also told (my dad bought the same quad on the same day as me, and his has been rolled, bogged & swamped, etc and NO problems & on the original battery!!) by a friend of a friend who works on quads for my dad to take the rectifier out of mine and switch it with his. And that could be the whole problem if his quad starts doing it too.

So now when my boyfriend gets home from work I'm going to have him call around for the cheapest battery for my quad. Hopefully it won't cost me alot I'm on unemployment right now (stupid downsizing) and I still need to put a complete cat-back on my truck for inspection/emmissons next month, ontop of car insurance being due the 1st of next month too! *geesh!*

Anyone know what size I'm gonna need? I don't know squat about batteries!!!

Old 05-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 01 honda and am still using the original batt, but have already replace the one on the BF 750.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

yep, time to start complaining, battery should not go dead after 4-6 days. I could see 4-6 months, but not days.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

i got an 02 Rubicon with 4500 miles still have the original battery in it..Never any problems..

How are you battery connections?

We have one of those big commercial 72inch deck exmark mowers and it always seemed like the battery was dieing but after you had been running it awile she was fine I figured its a bad battery.. sometimes you couldnt get it started you had to put it on the charger esp after it sat for a couple days..till I cleaned up the connections on the battery and it was fine after that just like a new battery

I would guess that you have a bad connection somewhere...

Either on your battery perhaps.. it doesnt take much corrorision to have a bad connection

if there is any unhook your battery and wirebrush it all off and maybe check out the connections on the starter and the soleniod and clean them also

if it still does it then i dont have a clue is to what ur problem is

Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

Could the winch be hooked up wrong and draining the battery? I dont know, just a guess.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

The winch isn't on the quad yet. My dad got it for me at christmas but it's still in the box.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have you tried to charge it? If not get a trickle charger then you will be able to see the voltage that it is charged too. Once you get a good charge then you can see if it will hold a charge off the quad and if it will hold a charge in the quad. That way you know if it is a messed up battery or something with the quad that is draining it.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: RedATVChick04
Ok I talked to them (just got off the phone actually) and I have to buy a new battery (since I've had this one for 7 months.. one month too long for the warranty...grr!) and if it does it again (I'm pretty sure it will...) I have to make an appointment.q]

A replacement battery from Honda has a one year warranty. This goes for over the counter sales as well. I work at a Honda dealer and know for a fact that if you bought a Yuasa battery from a Honda dealer, its warrantied for one full year, not just until your machine is out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Problems w/ a '04 Honda Rancher AT