Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

fourtrax axle remove

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fourtrax axle remove

i gust bouht a honda fourtrax today i dont know what year or model it is. its auto cluch, has a driveshaft, the tank was red and mabe blue(its rattle caned black now) and is stamped 281cm on the cyl. and ive already crashed.
when i wrecked it i was going up a hill the plug fould out whent rolling backwards(found out the brakes dont work very well) hit a tree with the left rear tier bent the axle.

how do i remove the axle so i can put it on the press and straten it.

and the electric start dont work, the silinoid clicks and thats it.

any help would be um..... helpfull

james

Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

What's the frame and engine numbers? I will be able to tell you what you have if you give me the numbers, PM me if you wish. I can't tell you how to remove the axle unless I know exactly what you have. Do you have a test light or volt meter? If there is voltage to the starter post, you have a starter problem. If no voltage to starter, you may have a bad solenoid or broken wire.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay it seems like you have a recon, rancher,or foreman but they all come out basically the same way so ill tell you step by step.....

1)Remove both rear tires which is 4...17mm nuts on each wheel.

2)now remove each hub by pulling the cotter pin out of the center nut and loosening the nut and sliding the hub off.

3)Remove the differential skid plate which is like 3 or 4....12mm bolts I think.

4)disconnect your brake lines from the rear by removing the wingnuts and pins( just to get them out of the way)

5)remove the large nuts that are threaded onto the axles right side (remove the outer one first)

6)Remove the right side cover (where the rear brakes/drum are located) which is like 8....10mm bolts

7) now believe it or not just pull the axle out to the right side (it will slide out)

INSTALLING

1)slide the new axle right in like you took the old one out (make sure to grease the bearings and new axle

2)replace the right side differential cover with brakes.

3)hook the brakes back-up with the pin,spring, and wingnut

4)replace the skidplate underneath the differential

5) replace the large lock-nuts that thread onto the axle (tighten the first one snugly, but the second one very tight to secure the first one from moving, if the first nut is installed too tightley the axle wont spin correctly....it will have resistance.

6)replace the hubs on both sides bysliding them on and make sure the center nuts are tight but also make sure you get a new cotter pin in there too.

7)replace the wheels/tires with the 4....17mm nuts on each wheel

8)ride on your new straight axle

I hope this helped but it may not be completely clear because im not sure what year or model of four-wheeler.

The following users liked this post:
cinbin123 (04-15-2022)
Old 06-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

ive got everything down to the pulling it out from the right side, this helps me out iv been trying to figure out how the dang brake drum comes of but if it comes off with the axlei wont worry about gitting it off it will fit in the press with it on.

were are the numers on the frame/engine you are talking about.(this is my first atv) if i can find out what ive got it would make it easyer to find parts for it. this thing i got is a honda under the skin someone in the past put polaris plastic and hydrolic front brake controles on it. it looks ugly as heck, but runs good.

thanks
james

Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

there might be a small seal between the axle and the drum that needs to be taken out with a small pick or something (it should just slide out, it looks like a hair tie. otherwise if it hasnt been removed in a while try hitting it with a hammer all the way around the drum to knock it loose, then try prying evenly around the edges with a flathead screwdriver.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

i forget to say that the vin and model should be somewhere on the steering stem or front frame look for it and post it. there should be a black plate that says the year and model such as trx300 which is what i think it is a trx300 4x4 or 2x4

Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i got the thing loose but its bent bad enough that it wont slide out, so i gess ill gust cut it off.
cant find a vin num plate, so i dont know how to tell what year it is. it is a 2wd.
so i need to know now is what is the differences in the years of the trx300 axles.
my gess is its up to a mid 90,s model(buy how ugly it is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

im greatfull for all the help youve given sofar

james