Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What atv would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What atv would you choose?

mike-I never said the Rancher and the Outlander were in the same class at all, particularly regarding power. The Outlander has nice cushy suspension, but a lot of body sway. And like I said, in an off camber situation, it is tippy. When riding it, I feel like I am on top of this big thing that flopps back and forth. Does not inspire confidence, and it's darn ugly too.

Frankly, I DON'T LIKE ANY UTILITY! The manufacturers have all dropped the ball, and nobody really makes anything that is very well refined or at all inspired. Except for Honda, they are all involved in the big bore wars to see who can put the biggest engine in the biggest lard a$$ frame.

I simply find my Rancher to be the lesser of all the evils out there, so that's why I choose it. I do technical trail riding at high altitude, so I don't need speed or big horsepower, and I don't need to haul around a bunch of weight (and mud is thankfully rare), so it suits my needs well. I have Holeshot ATR's on the Rancher, and a platic Maier skid plate that acts as a huge ski, and I have never seen another quad of any kind that does as well in the snow!

mudder-Exactly what kind of conditions will you be riding in?????

Old 06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any automatic transmission eats more power than a manual
you are off base here, don't lump the Hondamatic in there reconranger. The reason the 400AT doesn't pull is gearing. Don't forget the Outty has an automatic too, a less efficient one at that.

For what the poster described as choices and use I'd go with the Outlander (if ride power are that important). The extra cost is justifiable with the winch, better tires etc. on the XT. Do they still have the 3 year warranty?

Have you thought about the Rubicon CTE? At least as much power as the Outty and has the 400ATs features...

Old 06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Some say the outlander has a load tranny and the motor make all it's power high rpm....customer service sucks too....

Old 06-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

mike-I never said the Rancher and the Outlander were in the same class at all, particularly regarding power. The Outlander has nice cushy suspension, but a lot of body sway. And like I said, in an off camber situation, it is tippy. When riding it, I feel like I am on top of this big thing that flopps back and forth. Does not inspire confidence, and it's darn ugly too.>>>>>>>

Well I believe that feeling you describe is a result of the IRS more then the overall quad itself. I too wish the utilities were a bit lightger but they aren't yet they are still my first choice, I like the option of going through mud, high water etc. without having to worry about getting stuck etc...The Rancher is a fine machine, IF my ladyfriend decides to get a new quad my suggestions will be a Rancher, Outlander or Wolverine. She spent a full day in the seat of my Outlander and a full day on the Rincon, she preferred the Outlander because she said it felt more stable...she might feel more comfortable on a Rancher or a Wolverine as they both sit a little lower, are 40-80 lbs lighter and should feel even more stable.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree that the AT transmission is more efficient than a belt drive, but both are less efficient than a manual. That's another reason I prefer the Rancher, it has a good old manual trans. I would like to see a Rancher 400 manual, with Trax Loc selectable 2wd/4wd.

Anyway, the Ranchers are not on the list of carry over models for 2007(http://www.hondanews.com/CatID7507?m...66018&mime=JPG), so we may see some big changes in the Rancher next year! I need another one, but that has convinced me to wait and see what the 07's are like. If the changes aren't something I like, well then I should be able to get an 06 at a better price.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I love my Rancher AT. It has plenty of power for me. It is a great trail ride. Very nimble in the technical sections. But I suppose if you are in to pulling sleds with your ATV, then maybe its not the ATV for you. Frankly, Ive never found a sled along the trail that I needed to pull. It always cracks me up when people talk about the pulling power of an ATV. I guarantee you nobody has an ATV that can out pull my truck. Of course I use my ATV for recreation and not for work (unless you count hauling deer and elk).

Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think i'am going to go with the outlander found one for $9100 with pdi,freight ect.Just those dam taxes need to be added on.I will use it alot for hunting and i hope this thing can pull a moose if not i guess i could use the winch and hold the brakes.I do like the rancher 400 AT and if i get another atv in a few years thats what it will most likey be.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

do yourself a favor. spend a little more $ and get and 06 Rincon. you'll end up getting rid of the rancher within a couple years at a larger $$ loss than getting the 06 Rincon today. i speak from experience, just sold my 04 rancher at and moved up to a 06 Rincon. wow, what a difference...power, wheelies, gps, no jetting, irs...it's incredible.
check out rinconriders.com

Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Before you do anything, wait until after July 1st. GST will be 6% rather than 7%[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I would normally always go with Honda. I've never driven a Rancher but I have driven an Outlander. I did enjoy riding the Outlander but found it to miss power...but that was 3 or 4 years ago now...(I can't remember how long)

Old 06-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I never heard anything about gst going down.If i get it before the end of june there is some nice finance options to choose from.

Quick Reply: What atv would you choose?