Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What atv would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What atv would you choose?

I have a chance to either get the 2006 Honda Rancher AT 400 Canadian trail edition for $8600 CND, or the 2006 BRP Can-am outlander 400 xt for $9800 CND.These are both new quads.I would rather have the brp but i like the features the honda has.I do like the honda but the power comparision to the brp is alot from what i hear.These prices are without taxes PDI and anything else like that.I do a far amount of pulling and mudding.Most of the mud has no bottom and sticks to everything it is basically wet clay or muskeg.In low end power,mid range,topend, for pulling heavy loads, mudding and just riding around which would be better?

Old 06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

I've ridden both and the Outlander has a much more comfortable ride and seems to have more power. You can also get one with an extended warranty for free. Watch the video at BRP.com of the sled pulls, the Honda barely moved the sled while the Outlanders had no problems.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

i think the outlander got quad of the year in its class. so id get that one... i have never ridden either though

Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where on the site do you find the video?

Old 06-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can swing the extra cash, I would go with the Can-Am. More power, and a better mudding set up. Nothing really wrong with the Rancher either, I just prefer the Outlander in this class.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Where on the site do you find the video? >>>>>>

Sorry, my bad. I guess when they switched around their website with the name change they didn't keep the video, at least I couldn't find it. Basically it showed the Outlander 800 and 400 against other models in the same classes. In the sled pull the Honda moved about two feet before it simply stopped, basically a no show, the Outlander pulled the sled no problem.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even though its kind of a personal preference i like the honda because thats what ive always ridden but the outlander wieghs 715lbs and the honda rancher at weighs 559lbs.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: motoxshane
even though its kind of a personal preference i like the honda because thats what ive always ridden but the outlander wieghs 715lbs and the honda rancher at weighs 559lbs.
The Outlander 400 weighs in at 607 lbs, not 715. The XT model is probably a bit heavier, but not by much.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has the Outlander, and I don't like it at all! It is kind of tall, heavy (top heavy), and rather tippy compared to my Rancher. I nearly rolled it in a mud hole once, making a sharp turn that my Rancher would have made with no problem.

I have not ridden the AT, but it has a reputation for no power down low (any automatic transmission eats more power than a manual). The Rancher package is a nice one! The weight is low in the frame, they are relatively light compared to most utes (but still way to heavy).....big enough to do the job, but not a huking beast either.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

My buddy has the Outlander, and I don't like it at all! It is kind of tall, heavy (top heavy), and rather tippy compared to my Rancher. I nearly rolled it in a mud hole once, making a sharp turn that my Rancher would have made with no problem.
>>>>>>>>

Oh good grief!! There is zero comparison between the Rancher and Outlander. 40 lb weight difference and the Rancher can't pull worth a crap. Lighter wheels and removing the steel racks will bring the weight even closer to a Rancher, regardless, these two quads aren't in the same class period. The Rancher and Yama Bruin are similar for comparison's sake.

Quick Reply: What atv would you choose?