Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Where are the big bore utility quads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the big bore utility quads?

Please have patience with me as I will be posting this in other forums...

With the major manufacture’s about to release new model line ups for 07, what are the chances that we might see a “big bore” with a 5-speed dual range tranny?

I currently have a belt drive kawi and have driven the other brands and would desperately like to see a “big bore” manual shift. Currently looking for a “big bore,” but only if it is a manual shift. I hate the feel of a belt drive quad, especially when navigating down steep hills backing a loaded tailor.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
The Facility

It's not a big bore, but in my opinon the Vinson 5 speed is one of the best of the Japanese quads that fit into that category.
I like the handling alot better on the Foreman 500, but the Vinson is much more powerful and it doesnt ride or handle that much less than the Honda to make it a deciding factor for me to decide which to go with.
But that is MY opnion. Everyone requires a machine that fits them specifically of course.

Something else here.... I dont think we ever see a utility ATV larger than say a 600 or possibly a 650, depending on the power output, with a manual transmission. These drivetrains barely hold up to the guys who abuse their automatic drives. You multiply the risk of componet failure ten fold when throwing a manual transmission in the mix. The warranty departments would be having fits!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The OEMs would put the Gorrila axles out of business. And the dry weight figures (not that they are accurate now..lol) would go up significantly with such beefy upgrades.
Those automatics deliver much smoother power than a manual transmission. Even the automatics with the fixings.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

I would agree and have looked at the Vinson and foreman...however my dream utility quad would be a nice 650 plus with a dual range manual tranny. With a quad in low range and first gear you have a lot of control on the hills, especially with getting gear into and out of the country. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2006, 02:46 PM
The Facility

I have always wondered if such a machine would be released like you describe with a big engine and manual transmission. More of a heavy duty work machine rather than a sport utility.

The Yamaha TerraPro was way before it's time. It had PTO drive, a dual range trans, a manual clutch that you could use like a sport quad, a throttle lever on the fron fender to control speeds for slow work as if you would on a tractor. But it was expensive for the late 1980s and I think it only hung around for 2 years. Maybe 1. I cant remember.
If they did a big bore version of that and left off the PTO drive,...they might have something. I dont know how big the market would be for it, but it does sound half way feasible anyway to talk about!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]