Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Considering a late model Rancher ES??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering a late model Rancher ES??

What sould I look for.... What should I look at on the machine?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reconranger will be in here soon to tell you about the possible ES system issues.

The ES models have a few known issues with the electric shifting not working at times. Most problems can be avoided by doing the clutch adjustment properly and maintaining the machine.

If there is maintenance records, look them over. Check out the tires, CV boots, skid plates, etc. for damage.
Ask to hear the engine run, drive the machine around a bit if possible. The 350 engine is bulletproof if taken care of. A slight tapping coming from the crankcase at idle is normal, my 2004 and my 2005 did the same thing. Nothing to worry about. Also the Carburetor vacuum piston rattles at high rpms, makes it sound like the engine is going to throw a rod, again nothing to worry about.

when you get the machine, change the oil and do the clutch adjustment and valve adjustment. Buy a manual for it, It will help with the valve lash adjustment. Most people dont do it, because they are afraid of wrecking something.
buy Motorcycle oil for it, dont use car oil. The oil has to be safe for wet clutches and made for high-heat air cooled engines. Amsoil makes a 10w40 Synthetic Motorcycle oil as well as a 20w50 in the same type. Hond GN4 and HP4 WITHOUT Moly are ok too. Maxima makes some ester synthetics that I've heard good things about as well. Try to use a synthetic if you can afford it, it helps with the air-cooled engines since they sometimes reach temperatures much higher than normal oil can protect at.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: LOANSHARK
What sould I look for.... What should I look at on the machine?
depends on what you want....i got my rancher 3 years ago and havent had any problems except for me gettin into a few accidents[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
perfect for working too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]