Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Adjusted valves, now there is a chirping sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusted valves, now there is a chirping sound

Adjusted the valves to spec today on my '05 Rubicon. Engine was at TDC on Compression stroke. Now when I first started while it was cold, there was a chirp sound when I let off the gas and went back to idle. Once in a while when I shut it off it did the same chirp. After the bike was warm, 5 mins of riding, the chirp sound went away. Washed the bike, started it back up, chirping again. What could this be? Too tight? Too loose? Should I readjust the valves again?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Bruiser

Old 07-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would double check the valves to make sure they are to spec...

Old 06-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 05 Honda Rubicon was making the same chirping noise recently too. I adjusted my valves and started it back up and the chirp was still there. If you are getting a loud clanging sound from the engine, tighten the valves so they are pretty tight on the feeler gauge (tighter than what i thought it was suppost to be). IF you don't have much sound from the engine, I'd loosen them up a bit. You do know there are 4 valves right (2 sets of 2 on each side). So you need to adjust bothe intake and exaust at opposite ends of the stroke. So rotate flywheel all the way around untill timing marks are lined up and adjust the valves that are now loose. (either intake or exaust). Eventhough the valves were due for my ATV, it did not help a lot with the chirp. So i removed the 3 screws on my tailpipe and pulled the tip out and the chirp went away. I have no clue why the stock tip develops the stupid chirping. So i bought an aftermarket powertip for my ATV off EBAY for around $50 and relplaced the old tip with it. The tip comes with a spark arrester screen that makes it legal and increases the air flow making my Honda have a tad bit more power and makes the exaust a little louder and more throaty, but nothing too loud to annoy me. I think it now sounds nice, and anything beats that bird chirp that it was making before. I have now been about 2 weeks chirp free and have not had a problem since I replaced the tip. Hope i helped a little.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Both intake and exhaust valves should be adjusted with the piston at TDC between the compression and power stroke... IE when the T on the flywheel is in the window and there is play in both rockers.

When the T on the flywheel lines up in the window, if both sets of valves are tight then you are at top dead center between intake and exhaust strokes and the valves are in overlap, so rotate one turn until the T is back and there is play in both sets of rockers.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When adjusting the valves rotate the crank in a forward direction and obseve the lifters as the intake are rising this is bring the stroke into the compression mode.
At this point place the marks at top dead center.

Same idea for the exaust valves rotate crank obseve the lifters as they rise then place then line up the marks.