Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

trx 250 the right machine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx 250 the right machine?

If i was u lookin for two new atvs for jumping, wheelies, and long trips and u dont want to get a sport quad and a utility, then i would get either the suzuki 250, because it is more torquer and faster than the honda 250. also it is way more comportable. also a perfect atv for u would be the polaris sportsmans. for the money more they are great in long trips and can jump and are a great quad to have fun with.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live near Reno, keep in mind that you will also have lots of open desert riding available during the cool months!

We ride the sport quads in the desert during the cool months, and then switch to riding the Rancher and 250's in the mountains during the months when it is hot in the valleys. The pure sport quads like the 400's and 450, have kind of low ground clearance for the stuff we get into in the mountains, although I can make them work if I have to.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 250ex have had it for 4 years and it has been very reliable and a lot of fun. My wife and son ride it and are able to manuver, climb hillls, do donuts like crazy, take small jumpos, and ride pretty hard through trails. Little small for me - I ride a Yamaha Wolverine sport 4x4) Very easy to ride as well, auto, light., and low maintenance shaft drive

Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Recon Ranger-

You are the encyclopedia of ATV info! You should start a hotline and charge 3.99/minute!

First of all, I have limited dexterity of my left hand so cant deal very well with the clutch. I used to ride a kawa tecate (3 whlr) and eased out 1st with some difficulty but then speed shifted all other gears. It worked, but I rather not deal with it.

1. Can you ride your rancher in fresh 3 feet of snow or only packed trails or only patchy locations. Can you follow a snowmobile path without getting stuck?

2. Can you do small jumps and pop the front end up, occasionally?

3. What is more stable at high and low speeds...trx or rancher?

4. If we are not doing mud or real steep hills what are we going to miss from the rancher if we buy the trx? Is the trx that more agile and fun to ride on trails?

Like the rancher, the 300ex is not yet released for 2007. Any idea if the 2007 300ex will have the sport clutch?

Thanks

Old 08-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new 250 has what they call a "sportclutch". It has a left hand lever, that SUPPOSEDLY you can use or not, as you wish. BUT, I have found that if you are shifting under load (like downshifting down a steep hill under engine braking), you do need to use the hand clutch or it won't shift at all! Still, the clutch has a very light feel, and short throw.

The Rancher isn't the hot setup for wheelies or jumping. The extra weight of the front wheel drive is out front, where it does the most harm. I wouldn't want to jump it more than a couple of feet, either. On the other hand, I can power wheelie the 250 from a dead stop without even poping the clutch. It will fly nicely, but has limited suspension so it is best kept pretty tame.

The 250 is much more stable! Both the 250 and Rancher have aftermarket tires and rims that make them several inches wider than stock, for some extra stability. Still, when you get a utility in a position where it might roll, your life flashes before you! You roll one of these, and you have to deal with hard racks and 500+ pounds. You roll a 250, and you are dealing with soft plastic and 150 less pounds.

Like I said, I only ride a utility when I have to. I consider them to be a "necessary evil", and it isn't anywhere near as enjoyable as riding a sport quad. But, there are just those times when I want to go somewhere that a 2wd just won't go. So, we will probably be getting another Racher this fall (for the girlfriend), after we see the 07's. A Warn 424 (makes it selectable 2wd/4wd) is an absolute must, on the Rancher!

In snow, the Rancher will do 3' of powder! But, the skid plate and the tires make all the difference. Don't think I could do that on a stock machine????

I think the 300EX will be discontinued. I would like to see it replaced by a really light little Blaster class kids machine, with a CRF250X engine in it (way more engine than a 250EX, even though it is the same displacement!). Probably won't happen with Honda, but rumor is Suzuki might have a 250 machine coming out????

Old 09-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default what is the right machine

I have 3 recommendations for you. They are all Honda

The first is a Honda 250 Recon. It's on the utilityside, but it will do wheelies, donuts, burnouts, and jumps. It's a base model, no speedometer, no extra features, and it's a semiautomatic transmission, but I think you can get it in automatoc. It's just a fun little toy to ride around on

The second is a Honda 300ex. I know this has no racks and is a full manual, but it does have a spot for a trailer and a small rear rack that you could put a tank of gas or a small cooler on, and it will do donuts, wheelies, burnouts, and large jumps. There is no better machine to ride on the trails.

My third option is a 350 rancher 4x4 semiautomatic or es, but with emergency shift lever. Now some say you shouldn't use the emergency lever unless your battery is dead or it gets stuck in gear, but that's bs. If you want to use it, use it. It will do no damage to the bike. But beside that point, there's utility racks, speedometer, rear box, and it will do the stunts you want it to do.

I hope you pick one of the very durable Honda atvs and I hope you are out tearing up the trails very soon

Old 09-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LaneWebster
I have 3 recommendations for you. They are all Honda

The first is a Honda 250 Recon. It's on the utilityside, but it will do wheelies, donuts, burnouts, and jumps. It's a base model, no speedometer, no extra features, and it's a semiautomatic transmission, but I think you can get it in automatoc. It's just a fun little toy to ride around on

The second is a Honda 300ex. I know this has no racks and is a full manual, but it does have a spot for a trailer and a small rear rack that you could put a tank of gas or a small cooler on, and it will do donuts, wheelies, burnouts, and large jumps. There is no better machine to ride on the trails.

My third option is a 350 rancher 4x4 semiautomatic or es, but with emergency shift lever. Now some say you shouldn't use the emergency lever unless your battery is dead or it gets stuck in gear, but that's bs. If you want to use it, use it. It will do no damage to the bike. But beside that point, there's utility racks, speedometer, rear box, and it will do the stunts you want it to do.

I hope you pick one of the very durable Honda atvs and I hope you are out tearing up the trails very soon

you do realize this thread is from 2006 right?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by atvcollector
you do realize this thread is from 2006 right?
I notice that to. "Reconranger" was last heard of 10 years ago, rumor has it he headed out on a ride and broke down and is still walking back.