Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Solenoid placement for Warn A2000 on 450ES

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-1999, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can Anyone tell me the best place to mount the Solenoid for the Warn A2000 winch
on a 99 450ES. Also what is the best wire to splice for the key controlled electrical
wire on the solenoid?
Thank's for any suggestions
Jack

Old 08-12-1999, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have any experience with Hondas but I would suggest you mount the selnoid as high up as possible(rear frame or battery box if possible) as for wiring any wire that is hot when the ignition switch is turned own(center headlight etc.) should work, hope this helps.

------------------
Harold Wells Raleigh NC 98 Wolverine& 97 Timberwolf Blueribbon Coalition Member

Old 08-17-1999, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer

I mounted my Warn 2500 solenoid towards the right side rear of the atv. There's 2 bolts about the same distance as the holes in the bracket. The first atv bolt is one that holds the cargo rack to the frame. The second bolt is a smaller bolt that fastens a small black box to the frame. I had to ground a small portion of the solenoid bracket so it was big enough to slide underneath the cargo bolt. I mounted the solenoid so it's bolts for the cables were all pointing up then ran the cables next to the frame, cable tying everything down tight.

One thing, the A2000 solenoid is different than the 2500, so I'm not quite sure how that would mount. (I first bought the 2000 then returned it for the 2500) Isn't the 2000 solenoid more or less a forward/reverse switch that you manually have to set the direction you want the winch to turn? If that's the case then underneath the atv probably isn't where you would want to mount it. I'd drill a hole in the fiberglass and mount it as high up as you can get it.

Old 08-17-1999, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

what is a solenoid?

Old 08-17-1999, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cory
The Solenoid on the Warn Winch is a safety
device which disconnects the winch from its power source when not in use.
It very much resembles the starter solenoid found in Ford vehicles of the 60's, 70's
and 80's

Old 08-17-1999, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Cory-

A solenoid is, in general, a high current switch - sometimes referred to as a relay. It usually consists of a cylindrical coil of wire surrounding a movable core or plunger and a pair of contacts. When an electrical current flows through the coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the plunger against the contacts - electrically connecting the two contacts. This completes the circuit from the battery to the motor. Once the current is removed from the coil, the plunger is returned to its initial position by a spring and thus disconnects the two contacts.

Use of a solenoid enables convenient remote location of a low-current control switch (e.g. key switch, starter switch) which reduces both the size of the wire running to the switch and the cost and size of the switch.
------------------
Greg McKinney

Old 08-19-1999, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone's correct!

A "solenoid" is an electromagnetically-controlled electrical switch. (Technically, the solenoid is the electromagnet itself, but usage applies the term to the entire relay assembly.)

Solenoids typcially may be used in two different ways in winch applications.

A single pole, single throw (SPST) solenoid may be used to connect and to interrupt the winch circuit altogether (e.g., Warn 2000), not unlike a circuit breaker in a house electric power switchbox.

In the other application, a double pole, double throw (DPDT) solenoid is used as a power and control (forward and reverse) source for the winch (e.g., Warn 2500). A separate, manually-operated low-current switch determines the position of the power/control dpdt solenoid's contacts, reversing the polarity to reverse the electric motor's rotation (winches without DPDT solenoids use DPDT switches (e.g., rocker or rotating designs) carrying full winch current for power/control of the winch).

DPDT power/control winch solenoids in many applications are usually mounted close to, if not directly on, the winch. SPST "circuit breaker" solenoids typically are mounted near the battery.

DPDT solenoids are used on higher-current, heavier duty winches because a DPDT power/control switch robust enough to handle the heavy current involved would be undesirably large, heavy, and clumsy.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-19-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

I just mounted a warn A2000 on my 97 Foreman 400. I mounted the solenoid under the seat , bolted directly to the plastic to the rear of the seat cavity . I ran a grounding wire to the bolts that hold the seat support bracket in place . I spliced directly to the key switch for the solenoid . It's kind of strange how Warn suggests that you try to keep the solenoid dry and clean yet some winch mounting plates actually have holes for mounting it directly behind the winch . i figured it's best to follow Warns advice . Good luck .

Old 08-19-1999, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

I placed my solenoid for my RULE winch under my seat.Its tight but probably the safest spot as far as water protection.Depending on how large your solenoid is,you should be able to place it there safely.Wiring will take a while as you have to carefully feed the wires near the wiring harnesses and relays.Mine took me several hours to do.(entire winch installation)I fed the wires along the left side of my tank under the plastic and zip tied everything to keep it neat and orderly.I mounted my switch for the winch on the left front rack.I spliced into the (if I remember correctly) white with black tracer wire coming from one of the relays under the seat.This is an ignition on only power supplied wire.I spoke with a Honda mechanic and he stated that was the same wire he taps into for the 450ES.One thing I will recommend is placing an on/off switch to your solenoid.I have a friend who has a Grizzly with a Warn winch and he has one.The reason I place one is my solenoid was heating up.This is something I was confused about initially because it was getting hot even when the winch was not in use.I believe the reason its heating up is because there is a constant flow of power to the system because it is wired into an "ignition on" positive wire.You may not be using your winch but there is a constant flow of power through the system.The switch stops the heating if you place it to the solenoid.My friend with the Grizzly has the same problem if he leaves his switch in the on position.I wired mine to the ground wire and so far no problems or heating.Good luck.

2000 450ES Red.