Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Mechanically Inclined........

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanically Inclined........

Howdy. You all really seem like you know your **** when it comes to motors and such. Any tips you can give someone who isn't too mechanically inclined (but tries) and has never really worked on a motorcyle engine before? I have most of the tools to accomplish working on my bike but are there any specific lubes or oils or tools you guys would suggest keeping in the garage at all times? I have some minor mods to my 04 ex that were done by the guy that owned it before me. He took really good care of it and the bike is in great shape. Is there anything I might want to check like, throttle settings, brakes or suspension before I romp the bike to holy hell? Stuff that may not have been checked when he brought it home brand new or stuff that should be checked now that the bike is two years old? I've clocked about 3 hours total on the bike since I've had it. Any info you could supply me with is great. I know it's alot but knowledgable motorheads are hard to come by. Thanks in advance![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

I would get a factory service manual. It has loads of good info and pictures so you know what you're getting yourself into if you decide to work on it yourself. You can order it from the publisher here:

Click here for Helm Inc

Old 10-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much. I'll check that out.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:33 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By "04 EX", I presume you mean a 400EX??? (There is also a 250EX, 300EX, and now a 90EX.)

This machine will run trouble free forever, with some simple manintenence:

Keep the air filter clean and oiled: I use Maxima FFT or UNI filter oil.

Lube the chain: I like Maxima chain wax (dries so it won't attract dirt).

Engine oil and oil filter change (your engine and trans share the same oil): http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html I highly recommend Maxima Extra, ester synthetic oil: http://www.maximausa.com/products/4s...synthextra.asp. Some basic oil info: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

A fresh spark plug now and then.

Valve adjustments: Maybe best done by an experienced machanic, until you are real competent.

Only major thing I have had to replace has been the rear bearings, and that was after 7 years of hard a$$ desert riding........

Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

thanks recon.....my bad, I did mean a '04 400ex. It's got a K&N in it and I have a recharge kit that includes everything to clean it. I might get 6-8 hrs. in total on the bike per week so how often should I change my oil and filter, clean the air filter and swap out the plug? Thanks so much for your input and links to some more good info. Much appreesh......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]