Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How do you fix a flat in the field?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fix a flat in the field?

Originally posted by: SlyCulprit
I use the plug kit with the Co2... carry a little squirt bottle mixed with dish soap and water... have never had a problem finding the holes in my friends tires.... I run radials, have yet to puncture them... Also the Co2 cartridges are not all that expensive... same ones paint ball guns use and I bought a case of 12 for less than 12 bucks... One cartridge will handle a stock tire... remember Co2 goes in cold and will expand once you get the tire moving...

Problem with slime... when you blow a bead and have to reseat the tire that is a (expletive) mess I don't ever want to deal with again
Totally agree with the statement on Slime...very messy.

I started to patent a sidewall flat fixer that would get you back to camp even with up to a 1 1/2" tear. It was basically made out of 2 modified washers, a bolt, and a nut. The bolt gets welded to the washer. You cut the washer and pull up a few pieces of metal to grip the inside of the tire. Once you get a flat, you push the washer with the bolt through the hole then you add the second washer and nut and tighten down. The problem is you will still have the rest of the bolt sticking out. I was messing with a bolt like a toilet has that you could break off afterwards. Ended up buying better tires and realized this really wasn't as big a problem as I thought if the manufacturers would use better tires.