Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

outlaw super duty clutch kit for rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlaw super duty clutch kit for rubicon

No it does not add power or take it away, all it does is alow the motor to be at a better power band for larger tires.

I work in Brainerd MN and the EPI guy( Gelen Eredalson) comes into our shop all the time, I have talked with him personal.

I was just pointing out about the fact that it engages 500rpms more but also is then running down the trail 500 rpms faster.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

well then the next time he comes in please get the explanation on how it raises the RPM 500 at all times. I'd be interested in that. thanks

Old 10-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

It's the same thing as changing the engagement spring on a snowmoblie or Polaris atv, they hold a weights and when the motor rpms go up the wieghts move out which turns the drum which turns the gears that turn your tires.

Now with this type of setup it does the same thing but like I said before it's 500rpms more at all times.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
TIC
Pro Rider

Many moons ago, I had a near the same problem, I had added some larger heavier titan 589's. My rubicon would bog down some, I added jet kit and K&N. you can do a search on my old post if you wish to find out how that really improved my low end... Made my MPG go down though. Making sure you have correct Jetting is really important on these things. You can even check with the RUBICON GOD HIMSELF texmudder and he will tell you they can come from the factory not jetted the best. also dont forget the ever troublesome throttle cable adjustment that honda seems to not make where the throttle can open all the way up.. go to this site and be ready to really get some good stuff on the rubicon......

got to www.ansley.net.

IF this site helps you than I say your welcome, If you hate the rubicon no matter what than that is fine to and there is no need to reply.. have a good day.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

It's the same thing as changing the engagement spring on a snowmoblie or Polaris atv, they hold a weights and when the motor rpms go up the wieghts move out which turns the drum which turns the gears that turn your tires.
it cannot be the same. the centrifugal clutch is a completely different clutch than a primary on a sled. while adding springs to the honda clutch raises engagement it cannot change the RPM once it is engaged (unless it is making the clutch slip a perfect 500 rpm all the time too). it's not the same. I think you misunderstood Erlandson.

The primary way to change shift RPM on a sled is to change the weights. lower value weights increase max rpm. this can be done with a spring too, but I'm talking basic rule of thumb tuning here. By doing this you are changing the ratio, but the centrifugal clutch has no control over the ratio, it's ether disengaged, engaged, or slipping. the only way this can be done on the centrifugal clutch is to make it slip all the time or change the gear ratio from the engine/clutch or clutch/transmission.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Ya you must be right, I'm wrong. I've only been doing this for 10 years and I'm wrong!

So then if the egagement increased by 500rpms what makes it drop back down when going down the trail????????

Old 10-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

it doesn't drop back down on the trail, it just won't move at 1700-2200 rpm like it used to. Last thing I'd want while rock crawling. Once the clutch is engaged, the ATV will travel at the same speed if it engages at 2200 rpm and running at 2500 rpm as it would if it engaged at 1700 rpm and running at 2500 rpm. The centrifugal clutch is not a CVT clutch as it doesn't (c)ontinuously (v)ary (t)ransmission output to engine output ratios at all (unless it's slipping). Is 10 years suppose to mean you are infallible? 30 years doesn't mean I am.

Think of it as dumping the clutch on a car at 1000 RPM or 3000 RPM. Does that change the ratio? Does that mean you're going to be at 2000 rpm more when your are doing 100 mph, based on what RPM you let the clutch pedal up?

Old 10-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

When you install this clutch kit it raise the enagage ment rpms 500 we all have that figured out as being correct.

Then if I am wrong that would mean it's going from 1700 to 2200, so if I am now starting to move at 2200 does my rpms fall back down?
You are all tring to say that once I am going say 2300rpms about 3mph once I get to say 5mph the clutch magicaly drops the rpms which now would be below my engagement rpms, so at 5mph it's only going to be running 2000rpms?

Now tell me how that is possible, I know it's not the same as a snowmoblie clutch I was just using that as an example!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'm saying if you can go 3 mph at 2000 rpm stock, you can't do that with the kit. With the kit, when it fully engages you will be going as fast at 2300 rpm as you would without the kit.

if you keep your car in first gear, will you be revving at a different RPM at 20 mph if you let the clutch out at a higher RPM???? No. But it may be easier to get it to move on a hill if you let the clutch engage at a higher RPM.

That's all this kit does.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

The is no way of getting through to you on this, I have a 500 rubicon and tried it that's how I know EXCATLY how it does this and that it does stay 500rpms higher through out the WHOLE rpm range!

Quick Reply: outlaw super duty clutch kit for rubicon