Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Polaris duel

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris duel

I am puttin up the same post in all the forums. As I just found out Kawasaki, has been quiet on the issue too. I owe you all an apology. I figured all non-Polaris brands were bashers. I am finding out that it is just the Yamahack club that makes enough noise for all of us. I don' frequent other forums, because I have nothing to offer as tech support. I don't own,fix, or bash a Honda. So, I have no business here. I wish the Yamers would do the same for us! Sorry to be the one to bring this up. Here it goes:

At first, I thought, yeah man, do a duel If you believe in your product, than get on it and ride! Then I found out that they are all old. I sometimes ride with a 55 yr old, I would not want him to represent Polaris. I said it before on the Polaris forum, Tiller looks like a red blooded Ameican that enjoys the outdoors! The others,....Obviously not. I guess this would be like the Japs offering a duel to all CEO's, of any product line, to see who makes the most profit in a give time. Obviously we would lose we don't make our 10 yr kids work in sweat shops!

I just wanted you all to know that, not all Polaris owners think that this is a good idea. Put ANYBODY on the quad, then I'd change my mind! I don't read the mags, I wouldn't believe them, even if they said my brand (Polaris in my case) is the best bang for the buck. Sure, that tickles my ears, but I know it isn't true.

I do believe that it is the best for what I do, which is deep mudholes. If I was into Utlity Harescrambles, I wouldn't want a heavy Polaris. If I were into LONG trail rides, I wouldnt want the Sp 800 @ 11 MPG and a 4.1 gal tank. I am, not afraid to point out the bad areas of my quad. The bad areas(heavy,slow,and price) don't bother me. It is a Utility, I want a beefy quad, I don't race it, speed is not a concern for me, and the price is because of all these quads are in the "PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER" way of thinking. Polaris is more $ up front, but the repair parts are not as much as others,part for part. The Japs make more of a margin on parts, to make up a loss of margin on initial sales!

We all have different needs in a quad! There is a guy on Polaris putting 28" tires on a Scrammy. Initially this sounds like it is not the best setup. For all I know, maybe he just wants to have some mud fun at a fraction of the cost, If this is the case, than what he is doing IS the best thing for him, he already has the quad, why buy another, he is keeping the cost down and muddin' at the same time!

Sorry to get so long winded, It just p!sses me off when bashing takes place, almost everyone thinks, if you ride something different then you are a moron! I think if you bash something different, YOU are the moron!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris duel

bye god!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris duel

Good post Instigater .. I read a bit through the Yammi forum too on this "duel" and the responding posts are shocking. All I can think reading through there is "what a hateful bunch of idiots". The bomb forum is a lot better, but still not exactly complimentary, especially the posts of certain individuals.

My first response on the "duel" after looking up the info/comparisons that Polaris was making on other machines was how disappointed I was in Polaris for bashing the other brands on their site. Calling them weak, wimpy, etc. Not good PR for Polaris in my book. I love my quad (500EFI) but then .. I like lots of other quads too .. my old Warrior being even more enjoyable than the Polaris. But of course, people hate on them too .. maybe I just like quads that noone else does [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL

Old 10-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris duel

We each "deserve" the quad we picked. If somebody doesn't do their homework, and they pick the wrong machine for their needs or a poor quality machine, it's their own fault. That's why the forum is here, so we can help eachother with our "homework"..........but, bruital honesty can sometimes seem like "bashing"!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris duel

Yes, that's true, but in some instances that brutal honesty is only that persons opinion.

If someone buys a big-a$$ utility quad and then complains that it's slow and poor handling then ok .. maybe you can plop an "I told you so" on them for making a bad choice. Still for all, with most machines out there today, quality is usually pretty good, and if things go wrong well .. there's manufacturer's defects, freak problems and user abuse. That does not mean that every single production of that quad will be a p.o.s.

Take the 500EFI Polaris which I ride. There've been many posts on troubles people have had with their individual machines. And just as many who've yet to find a fault in it. I love mine, and don't care if someone else thinks it's "junk". That's their opinion. But when you (not you specifically r.r.) come online saying "don't buy polaris, they're heavy, slow POS's" .. call it brutal honesty or whatever else you want. It's bashing. Same goes on the Warrior. People rag on it being a slow, overweight, outdated tank. I loved mine and thought it was great for what I wanted it for. I know there's many other quads out there with much more power, speed, handling ... that's great. Variety is the spice of life.

To each their own, but just because you (again not specifically you r.r.) didn't like what you bought, doesn't mean it's junk and there's nothing served other than venting your own dissatisfaction in coming online and telling everyone else what a POS Quad "X" is.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris duel

Valid point's, Instigater!!!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris duel

This discussion has brought me to the conclusion that I'm insane. Apparently I'm the only one that does their own work. Unfortunatley, I've done other people's too. I've worked fairly in depth on three polarises (polarisi?, Polarisees?) and find their engineering/assembly standards are below my standard of acceptability. On one model (magnum 425), they painted the inside of the brake fluid resivior with some type of "protective" coating, which, after a few years, readily bubbles off after being in contact with brake fluid. It proceeds to clog the brake lines, causing near or complete failure of the front disc brakes. This model is also equipped with a low-oil sensor, that, in the event of low oil, kills the engine. Unfortunately, when an oil change is performed, it isn't tripped because where you fill the oil (the oil resivoir) isnt the same place the sensor is. (the crankcase) This makes you take one of two actions. 1.) continue to dump oil into a truly properly filled engine 2.) ...Or in my case, have two buddies lift the thing up on end so the oil runs to the crankcase, tripping the sensor. The two stroke 350 I worked on has a radiator overflow line exiting the radiator in such a way that it either 1.) gets caught in the cooling fan or 2.) gets crimped by whoever assembles the quad in an effort to keep it out of the fan. I did the only safe thing I could. Ditch the line and let the overflow puke seering hot antifreeze onto the fan, promptly alerting the rider's legs of the engine's current condition. Who knows. Maybe they've improved...but honestly, gimme a break. There really really needs to be a government orginization that doesn't let American engineers design things that matter. I'm studing to be an ME, and I'm a bright guy, but I NEVER want to be the source of that much frustration. Just my $.02

Old 10-23-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris duel

Yeah inside painted brake resevoirs is not a good idea! Not trying to bash my ride, but I hate the design of the rear lower control rm to hub connection. Doesn't seem to be strong enough. I just got rid of wheel spacers that I was assured on the Polaris forum, this is the cause of mine breaking! We'll see If I have anymore issues!