Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is the 450 really a true "R" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006 | 12:13 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Is the 450 really a true "R" bike?

crazy,

I'm with you sorta.... Me, I don't know where all these accepted universal standards come from. There are only a few sport quads that have ever been built that were wide enough to really suit me right from the factory... and every one of them wore quadracer badges. Those trails where you are squeezing between trees, you are not likely to be on with sport quads.

To be honest, I checked out the QuadRacer 450 earlier in the week. Now that's my kind of ride! These days I could buy a ride like that and probably make little to no mods to it and be happy.

It's expensive though.....

Old 11-19-2006 | 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

Anyways, I guess you could say I'm "old school" as my idea of a true "R" bike would be say an '89 250R...

But not to sound like a Honda basher...

Me being old school, you know I piloted all the two stroke racers. The 250R, the Banshee, the Tecate 4, the LT250 QuadRacer, and the LT500 QuadZilla.... LOL .... all the screamers.

1989 was my year on the 250R....

Me, I don't know where all these accepted universal standards come from. There are only a few sport quads that have ever been built that were wide enough to really suit me right from the factory... and every one of them wore quadracer badges...

To be honest, I checked out the QuadRacer 450 earlier in the week. Now that's my kind of ride!...
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>

duster, some of these comments are just a bit puzzling to me. some of us were just trying to give you a real world comparison between the new and 'old' honda 'R's...Now, after piloting 'all the screamers' of the day, including the bikes wearing QUADRACER badges, you chose to ride a 89 Honda trx250r and deemed it a 'true R machine,' correct? Im curious, what made you pick it over the rest?

Nothing against the others- they are decent bikes, but the universal standard of handling has been the 250R- stock or modded (power-wise, yes, it was the weakest of the 250s in stock form).

Now, if i remember right b/c i grew up during the old school era(or first golden age of atving as i call it)- the only WIDE quad/quadracer prior to the LTR was the quadzilla @ around 47" wide; the new LTR is 48" wide. none in the 250 class or the banshee was over 45/46" wide....

i dont really think you are a honda basher, it just seems that you want a new LTR450...dont blame you its a fine bike and has something the others dont have - efi...as will the kawa450 and can-am450 and i almost promise the 2008 YFZ and 450R will have it to stay competitive...but now, if you want the bike that honda should have built and is close in handling to your 250 you owned, then get a YFZ (yes, if it sounds like I should get one, i just may!).

crazy1291 - i wasnt suggesting 450cc 4-strokes run with 450cc 2 strokes. that def would be unfair. in motocross they allow (before the widespread of 4strokes) 450 four-strokes to run in the 250cc class... (same in the 125cc class - they allow 250cc 4strokes).
That is one reason why carmichael left honda- he didnt want to ride the CRF450r b/c he was quoted as liking the CR250R better. Ironic, b/c he's primarily riding a Suzuki 450 now; he went back to them b/c they gave him a better deal ($$$) and "more choices." but i would like to see 250Rs allowed to run with the 450s b/c i know they can.

Old 11-20-2006 | 02:29 AM
|
Pro Rider

twentycharacters,

I guess your confusion is certainly warranted. In the begining of this thread, I used the 250R as a comparison.... primarlily as a Honda-to-Honda comparison. In the past, Honda has made many great bikes, and some great sport quads... but only one "R" bike and that was the 250R. So really I was just trying to gather an opinion from the masses as to rather or not Honda had achieved a thumper version of the old quad.

Now, back in the day before all the issues arose around sport quads, I did some racing and a lot of recreational riding. 1989 was the only year I was lured away from Suzuki... and it was to a Honda 250R.

Now, I hate to say this the Honda section.... but while it had great ergonomics and great handling.... it needed to be over the top in that area in order to hang in there and be competitive. At best, it was still weaker and slower than the suzuki's. But with a good rider on board, with that balance and handling it was a very competitive on the track. Particularly MX. I did great on it and loved it for what it had and didn't really fault it for what it lacked.

The LT's were my favorites. I loved the 250 anywhere. But the quadzilla was just out there in the stratosphere when it came to blazing logging roads, fire roads and yes... dirt roads. I liked the old Kawi Tecate 4 too. But neither it or the 250R could hang speed wise for off-track riding.

In the end, the old 2 stroke screamers, LT's, R's, 4's, Banshee's, and dirtbikes too, were quite a bit of 'shift-work' on a long mountain trail ride. But in those days, I didn't care... they were fun and a blast to ride... despite the plug fouling and what not. The 250X and Mojave were a lot easier to ride.... and now almost 20 years later, I miss the two strokes but would probably rather have a 4 stroke.

As far as my "want-list" I think the Suzuki LTR450 now tops that list.... LOL. I really like the setup of that bike... and if I had more money than I had sense, no question I would probably already have one.

But at this point I am not that lucky. I'm also in no big hurry to buy anything. But I am itching to get back to riding again in one form or another. Either an ATV or a dirtbike, not sure which way I'll go. But as far as quads are concerned, at this point in my life, I could really care less rather or not I have the baddest quad out, or the racey-est one either for that matter. I'm more interested in something that is trouble-free and has good riding manners. Plush suspension, great handling, and won't get shamed too bad. That's all.

It sounds like during the years of my absence on the trails that the 400EX really earned it's place as a great quad. I may end up on one of those or the other 400's (KawiZukiCats) instead of a 450... dunno yet.

I'm gonna try to get out and get some seat time and keep my eyes peeled until I find something that suits me.

Old 11-20-2006 | 11:49 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: twentycharacters
crazy1291 - i wasnt suggesting 450cc 4-strokes run with 450cc 2 strokes. that def would be unfair. in motocross they allow (before the widespread of 4strokes) 450 four-strokes to run in the 250cc class... (same in the 125cc class - they allow 250cc 4strokes).
The new AMA rules (should be official in a few days) are going to allow 2 strokes and 4 strokes of the same cc run together. Here are going to be the new proposed classes in MX. (dirtbikes)

-100cc to 144cc (2 or 4 stroke)
-145cc to 250cc (2 or 4 stroke)
-251cc and up (2 or 4 stroke)

The AMA congress says the reasoning for the changes is because the 4-strokes have come a long way and the rules are geared toward the older 4-strokes, the current ones are just to good. And a BIG reasone for the change is cost, that way local guys and privateers can run the cheaper 2-strokes and still be competitive.

That is one reason why carmichael left honda- he didnt want to ride the CRF450r b/c he was quoted as liking the CR250R better. Ironic, b/c he's primarily riding a Suzuki 450 now; he went back to them b/c they gave him a better deal ($$$) and "more choices." but i would like to see 250Rs allowed to run with the 450s b/c i know they can.
I don't know where you got your info on this, but it is COMPLETE BOLOGNA!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

RC didn't want to ride a smoker anymore except for indoors at the time. He left because Honda wouldn't sign him a multi-years deal because he just came off a knee injury. He wanted a deal that would contract him as long as he wanted (retired), and Suzuki did that. He was p*ssed at Honda because they lost faith in him, which I can't get over Honda making that big of a mistake.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] And it certaintly wasn't about money, because if he would of went year by year with Honda, he would have made MORE.

Any racer wanting to ride a 2-stroke in the National Outdoors is crazy, there is a CLEAR advantage on power robbing tracks. There isn't even ONE smoker in the Outdoors anymore, and they are LEGAL in MX. I don't even think there will be any smokers in SX either. There wasn't but 2 or 3 a few times in last year's SX. Even privateers are paying MORE $$$ for the thumpers because they are simply better race machines.

As for 250R's in the premier ATV class, it will never happen because there isn't a production model. Production classes are very healthy for any sport because the consumer can ride what his or her favorite rider is. Not to mention it makes a more level playing field.

Old 11-20-2006 | 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

As for 250R's in the premier ATV class, it will never happen because there isn't a production model
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>

Let me attempt to clear this up- I pretty much said this if you go back and read. I never said 250R couldnt compete in ANY section of mx- they couldnt compete in the "main"/premier classes anymore... didnt i say that? BTW If you read the entire race results, there are still 250rs competing.

as for carmichael i really dont care. he DID elude to honda trying to MAKE him ride the 450 more than he wanted to. he DID say he liked the CR250R better and wanted to ride it at more races. He was pissed at honda, that we can agree on.
hmmmmmmmm... i guess there are two copies of the news. or he was just saying different things....

as for as your info no the NEW rule changes to allow the SAME class of 2 & 4 strokes to compete, thanks for the info. dont know how its going to work out for the masses since there arent production models out for it...other than minis...(name them) lets see, currently every 450 out and coming out is 4 stroke....that rules them out...125cc well i dont know reputable OEM that makes a 2 & 4 stroke racer in that line as with the 250s...nope. no production models i can name that would be worhty competition, can you?

as to the topic of the thread i heard you, duster, and was providing non biased info for comparing the 2 Rs from Honda. Some are a believer that the 450R is the best thing since sliced bread, others do not b/c they have both and can compare at will. i have compared. still compare. the 250r STILL out handles the 450 Sorry. Maybe just my 'opinion' but when a bike doesnt handle right, i notice. i have been riding for a looooooong time.

Old 11-20-2006 | 08:30 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

As for 250R's in the premier ATV class, it will never happen because there isn't a production model
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>

Let me attempt to clear this up- I pretty much said this if you go back and read. I never said 250R couldnt compete in ANY section of mx- they couldnt compete in the "main"/premier classes anymore... didnt i say that? BTW If you read the entire race results, there are still 250rs competing.

as for carmichael i really dont care. he DID elude to honda trying to MAKE him ride the 450 more than he wanted to. he DID say he liked the CR250R better and wanted to ride it at more races. He was pissed at honda, that we can agree on.
hmmmmmmmm... i guess there are two copies of the news. or he was just saying different things....

as for as your info no the NEW rule changes to allow the SAME class of 2 & 4 strokes to compete, thanks for the info. dont know how its going to work out for the masses since there arent production models out for it...other than minis...(name them) lets see, currently every 450 out and coming out is 4 stroke....that rules them out...125cc well i dont know reputable OEM that makes a 2 & 4 stroke racer in that line as with the 250s...nope. no production models i can name that would be worhty competition, can you?

as to the topic of the thread i heard you, duster, and was providing non biased info for comparing the 2 Rs from Honda. Some are a believer that the 450R is the best thing since sliced bread, others do not b/c they have both and can compare at will. i have compared. still compare. the 250r STILL out handles the 450 Sorry. Maybe just my 'opinion' but when a bike doesnt handle right, i notice. i have been riding for a looooooong time.
About the rule changes, I think you missed where i said it was for dirtbikes, not quads. Maybe that will clear up the confusion.

As for Ricky, he was more mad about Honda making him run the #1 plate more than riding the thumper.

Old 11-21-2006 | 12:09 AM
|
Pro Rider

I'm right there with you.... and while I will readily admit I am as rusty as it gets right now. But yes, I do now have to agree with you. The 250R does outhandle the new 450R by a long shot in my opinion.

Now you be honest with me here, as I have admitted I'd rusty, and correct me if you think I am "reaching" here. But I am certain while the machine is pretty darn nice, it does seem to me to have a distict PUSH in the handling, which I really did not expect from it. Meaning it has a front end push.

The brakes are good though, and work well as a compensator, if you know how to drive one in harder and use the brakes to hard-set the front end. If so you can set the nose for more bite and less push.

As far as the suspension goes, it's not bad. It rides pretty darn good. But it does buck a little out back at times. If it were my quad I'm sure I could get it set up very pleasing though for all around riding.

Power wise, it's good too. The power is there no doubt. It's smooth with no real rippyness. Solid and mild mannered. But dang, the gearing is way too tall I think. I'm thinking one, maybe even two teeth off the mark.

The kick start was a plus to me. Not bad to deal with. Sure the push of a button is nice. But so is never having to worry about a starter or battery. It's a wash I guess.

Overall, it seems like it would be a real strong trail bike, and with some money and time sunk into dialing it in... could be a great racer too.

I've opted not to judge it yet. I'll wait until it's re-geared and until I can bum a longer ride. Overall though, it seems like a good comfy choice in a ride. The only thing that really stands out as a question in my mind is that it seems generally accepted that the 450 engine needs more attention and needs the valves kept in check. So to me, the question is rather or not it's worth it for practical purposes over a 400 class quad if you don't have the need to be riding cutting edge stuff?

I dunno...

Old 11-28-2006 | 03:29 AM
|
Pro Rider

Well, I got the crickets chirping over here.... LOL

Seriously, I hope it isn't because I have "offended"... Didn't mean to if I did.

Anyways, talked to my buddy a while ago and he's got some stuff done to the 450R. He took my advice and re-geared it. He decided to go the easy and cheap way by changing the front. I said one, maybe two... he decided to just drop one. He's a lot happier with it and says he may try one more before it is over with.

He says second is a lot closer to where it ought to be and could use to be lower in some areas.
But overall he's a lot happier now and not getting eat up so bad by the other brand 450's he rides with.

When I get a chance to, I'll take it another spin and see what I think of it myself.

Happy Trails....

Old 11-28-2006 | 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I must have been traveling when this thread was on the bomb run. Never-the-less;
1. RC bailed on Honda because he wanted a guarantee independent of results. Honda had never done this even with Jeremy McGrath and Ricky Johnson or even Bob Hannah (after he left Yamaha) and they were not about to change for Charmichel. True that he would have earned more had he stayed with Honda with Honda incentives based on results. Bike characteristics were secondary.
2. The 400EX and XR400 are by far the most reliable motors for middle weight bikes or quads. I think of the 300EX as a light weight. For motorcycles the XR400 is the only decent runner without a vulnerable radiator and a good large motor oil capacity and good oil cooler. These motors will run forever with proper maintenance plus they will take more abuse in form of dirty oil and air. A stock XR400 with 4.0 gal tank and suspension work is my choice for any type of survival run especially where gasoline may be coming out of the Mexican farmers rusty tractor tank.
3. Great thread. Thanks for the memories.

Old 11-30-2006 | 02:21 AM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oldturtle

2. The 400EX and XR400 are by far the most reliable motors for middle weight bikes or quads. I think of the 300EX as a light weight. For motorcycles the XR400 is the only decent runner without a vulnerable radiator and a good large motor oil capacity and good oil cooler. These motors will run forever with proper maintenance plus they will take more abuse in form of dirty oil and air. A stock XR400 with 4.0 gal tank and suspension work is my choice for any type of survival run especially where gasoline may be coming out of the Mexican farmers rusty tractor tank.
3. Great thread. Thanks for the memories.
Thanks alot for the post.... NICE garage listing you have there also.

Anyways, your post and your rides hit me pretty dead on in a way. The reason being is that personally, I still have my options wide open for a new ride and I'm in no big hurry either. Heck, I might even watch the local used market for a while and make an "opportunity selection".

Maybe an ATV forum is no place to say this, but I've actually been considering the 2 wheeled alternative pretty strongly. So I noticed right off the bat that you have a STREET LEGAL XR650R. The dualsport thing really appeals to me.... but the factory dual sport bikes do not. Me, I'd rather have a street legal dirtbike. Seems to me that the weight, suspension and layout are better. Something like converting a 400 would be cool I think.

Could you offer me your thoughts on this and what might be involved in the conversion?
I'm guessing tires, lights, mirrors and a state inspection maybe?....

Quick Reply: Is the 450 really a true "R" bike?