Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250EX pipe & jet kit/ Why does suspension squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:15 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default 250EX pipe & jet kit/ Why does suspension squeak

we have an '04 250 EX. My son wants a pipe. I did a search and there is surprisingly little info on the Honda forum about pipes for this quad. some said Graydon or Yoshimura, but they cost WAY too much.

For cost, the FMF seems like the best deal. Also, the HMF comes with a jet kit for not a bad price. IF we put a new pipe on (FMF), do we need to re-jet?

ALSO, in general, this quad really squeaks in the suspension. I tried spraying WD40 in a few pivot areas (front A-arms), but it didn't quiet it down at all. None of the bushings seem worn. My friend says their's does the same thing. Anyone else find these really squeaky on the suspension? Our '03 doesn't squeak at all. It reminds me of our bed when we were newlyweds!! (Ya, I'm envious [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

Old 11-18-2006 | 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

my 300ex does the same thing, someone told me to take anything that moves apart and grease the heck out of everything. I don't know if this helps or not I haven't found enough energy lately to get out and try it lol, good luck with it though I know how annoying it is

Old 11-20-2006 | 01:15 PM
|
Pro Rider

well, the squeaking prolly makes for a good bear alarm when we're on trail rides.

anyone else have any info on pipes or whether I need a jet kit if I change the pipe?

Old 11-20-2006 | 01:49 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep

WD40 does nothing for luricating. (WD = water displacement) You need to get grease on the, if there is not a grease zerk then get a needle-type adapter for your grease gun. The squeeking will stop.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2006 | 02:40 PM
|
Pro Rider

I realize WD isn't a great lubricant, but it will usually take away the noise for a minute or two, until it wears itself out. Like using soapy water on a squeaky fanbelt. It won't lube it, but it will eliminate the noise temporarily. At least it helps troubleshoot the problem, and it usually penetrates deeper than grease. I think it might be the shocks that are squeaking, or possibly the pivot points on the a-arms.

Old 11-20-2006 | 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I think I can help you out here. I've been there and done it so let me save you some time and trouble. I put a White Brother slip on exhaust on our 250EX and it sounds great. If all you do is add the slip on exhaust then you probaly will not have to rejet. Just listen to it when you let off the gas. If it back fires, it's probably lean and needs a bigger jet. I also put vent in the air box for more air flow along with replacing the stock airfilter with a UNI filter. This mod made it run lean and I bumped up the main jet to a 112 from the stock 98. It runs like a well lubed sewing machine now. Sounds much better and never misses a lick. It's a brezze to replace the main jet. You can do it in 10 min with no problems. Let us know if you need any help.
Now for the Squeakie shock problem!!!
I have tried everything to stop the squeakie thing and finaly found the source of the problem. It's not in the spring or anything like that but it's where the bolt that holds the shock to the frame. Take the two bolts that hold the shock to the frame out and the shock will come out. Clean out the hole where the bolt goes and lube it with some grease or oil. Clean the bolt also and lube it and replace the shock and no more squeakie shocks. I did this over a year ago and have had no more problems. But just the other day a friend with his 250ex came over crying about his squeakie shocks and I had to laugh, a few minunite later he was happy.

The 250Ex is probably the most trouble free quad know to mankind. Take a little care and it will out last you.
Good luck!

Old 11-20-2006 | 03:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

thanks Camo450. I have a 450 Kodiak aswell ('03).

so did the pipe make much difference in the end, or was it the airflow? what did you do to vent the box (drill a few holes???) and do you need a place some type of screen or filter where you vent, to stop large particles?

WHat is a "slip on" exhaust?

would you bother with a "dial-a-jet" set up?

Old 11-20-2006 | 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I'd forgeyt about the dial a jet. A 110 or 112 main should do the trick. The stock pilot jet should be ok.
A slip on exhaust is just the muffler part. It slips on the stock header. If you buy a full exhaust it will come with the header part or the pipe part that comes out of the head. Dont waste your money, just get the exhaust . I used a hole cutter on a drill and cut out 5, 1" Holes.The vents have foam in the to catch the big stuff.I think I got a few more horse power doing all these mods, atlest it sounds like I did. Heres a link to them.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...7&navType=type

Heres a link to the exhaust that fits your 250ex. I got the W-brothers and am happy with it.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/vehicleFilter.do

Good luck !