Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher hard to shift when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Rancher hard to shift when cold?

Just because Honda oil is expensive that may not mean its synthetic. My friend used to use expensive Harley Davidson brand oil in his Harley and he found out it was not synthetic.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

That is normal...My Rancher and Recon are both very hard to
shift past first.... but only for a minute or two until they warm up
then they are smooth as silk .....don't worry about it....enjoy

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have always used the recomended HP oil in my quads. After I put on my big gun and jetted with K&N my fan would run almost all the time. I put mobile one synthetic in mine and kept my wifes the standard honda oil. My fan dosen't run like it did and even with the AT is does seem to shift smoother... I will be putting mobile one in my wifes a the next change.

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

i think the idea for the moly isnt so great, i think once the moly gets into the clutch material, it soaks it up like a
sponge and doesnt come out. Happened to my buddy's atc 200, he put car oil in it for years, and then he had clutch problems that he couldnt seem to fix. we put new clutch discs and shoes and put Amsoil motorcycle oil in it and it does wheelies like no tomorrow now.

synthetic oils are better, reconranger can point you towards some good oil info, the film strength is better and has better high-heat protection, plus it flows better in cold weather for easier starting. For an air cooled engine like the 350, you need all the protection you can get, my tach will read over 6000rpm sometimes which is quite high for a single cylinder 4 stroke engine, air-cooled at that. As long as you buy the right TYPE of oil, you'll never look back. JASO MA and API SG are the right spec's you need to start looking for oil.

Amsoil and Mobil 1 are the most popular synthetic oils, Maxima makes even better ester synthetics (good stuff) you can expect to pay a few dollars more per quart than the Honda oil, but the price difference isnt' huge, especially for 2 quarts of oil.

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:01 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally posted by: RancherATCrazy
I have always used the recomended HP oil in my quads. After I put on my big gun and jetted with K&N my fan would run almost all the time. I put mobile one synthetic in mine and kept my wifes the standard honda oil. My fan dosen't run like it did and even with the AT is does seem to shift smoother... I will be putting mobile one in my wifes a the next change.
Thanks for answering my question,Honda oil is not synthetic. Than do not use it ,the debate between dinosaur oil and synthetic has long be over just do a "synthetic oil vs Petroleum Oil" search on google. Here,s one of a million of the results

Synth vs Dino

Put some good oil in your ATV and tell us what your shifting is like after that. Unless its full snthetic do not use OEM oils it,s just there last money grab at you after you leave the store.

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:44 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Just for the record, Honda GN4 is a basic low tech petroleum oil. HP4 is a petroleum/synthetic blend, and from the smell of it, I believe it has at least some ester in it (and most likely a fair bit of PAO). But, these big companies can change their oil formulations at any time, and they never say anything about them, so who knows???????

Probably a good idea to try a synthetic, and consider the HP4M idea as a last resort.

Old 11-22-2006 | 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

you can ajust the tension on your choke