Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

thinking of buying a new quad

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying a new quad

price was a factor when i baught my 4 wheeler.i was buying new but still you can spend almost 10,000 bucks on a new 600 or 800???? 4x4 with all the bells and whistels. and i wanted to spend about 5000.

i wound up geting a 2006 rancher 4X4 400AT ,,,this is a 400cc machine.when i went into the place i had no idea what i was going to get. i allmost got a banshee and i realy liked this new 450 suzuki race quad.

the rancher is great on the trails. super easy to ride. what i have noticed about it is it is very manuverable off road. it is very light and easy to get unstuck. and it does very good on stock tires. i cant waight to see what it does with 25" mudzillas.

it gets lotts of complament's out in the woods for it's off road ability and little size.it is sort of a senseable 4X4.

it only does about 53 miles an hour,but it has plenty of get up and go in the woods.when i stab the throtel it goes. but when i want to go fast i have my 250R. my rancher is for the mud and the woods.and i seldom go aver 10 miles an hour in the woods.

it also does have a automatic locking or limeted slip front end.i dont know how it works but it has something up there.i read about it in the owners manual.

i would love to have one of those 800cc 4x4's with a monster lift kit and gorillas axles 30 inch tires or tracks front and back, snorkle , everything on it you name it. but i would not get rid of my rancher it is a gread off road bike and the perfect size for the woods.i think you would be happy with it but if you need blazing top end speeds it is not the bike for you.

here is that suzuki i want http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...7/Default.aspx

i know you cant put a snow plow on that suzuki, but who cares.

and i dont wory about the plastic engine covers on my rancher. you dont realy have to work on the engine.and when or if you did it is just 2 or 3 screws and there off.no big deal if you can do complex engine work then removing a little plastic cover should be no difficulty at all for you. these plastic covers can also be removed and thrown in the trash.but i like them over my engine,they are a heat shield they help keep your leg cool.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can NOT agree with the Rancher AT suggestion. If you are buying new, it is ~$1,000 more than a new Rancher420 with fuel injection. What fool would pay more for less?????

As far as Honda not having a locking differential, the Honda torque sensing diff is absolutely excellent! Why do all those other brands need lockers.......because they don't have a Honda diff in them! I have tested it many different ways, and IT SENDS THE POWER TO THE WHEEL WITH TRACTION, and it doesn't try to rip the bars out of your hands! It's the best diff out there.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Range Rover

i would have to agree with you reconranger.

i never heard of a 420 efi rancher. until i just read about it on your post 5 min ago.

feul injection is awsome. get that one . i would have to.

i dont get any atv magazines and i only read about the bikes i own,so i am always a little behind the times. but i can tell you i love my 400AT.
but i would love it alot more if it was a 420 with EFI thats for sure.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:26 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is the side by side specs of a 06 500 Foreman and a 07 420 Rancher. The 500 Foreman does have more travel and larger tires. My friend has a new 500 foreman and loves it and its alot faster than my old 2001 450 Foreman and it has selectable 2/4wd, You can look all you want but it looks to me the new 420 Rancher is full time 4wd,yuk! You do not want to go there believe me.

500 foreman vs 420 Rancher.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

alright the rancher is starting to look as not to bad a choice, but one question, can you put 424 in the new 07 rancher or not? also, i have been looking at yamaha grizzly 400's i dont know how much you honda folks know about yamahas but i sure as heck now alot more about hondas and i definatly trust hondas, but when buying new quads you gotta have open minds, the rancher is also not a billion dollars like other quads which is one nice thing...also the reason i say price is not a factor is because i want to pay good money for something that will suit my needs also, it wont take long at all before i have the money that i need to pay for a quad

Old 12-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Red Rider

The new Rancher 420 IS SELECTABLE 2WD/4WD! See that shifter just left of the handlebars.......it is a manual however and not push button electric like the other Hondas.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/ut...elId=TRX420FM7

The new Rancher does come out on the heavy side, and 6.5" (that has to be a misprint???) of ground clearance is kind of low. We will have to wait and see what the rider reviews say!

Old 12-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

What would be so bad about fulltime 4x4? Doesnt the 420 have powersteering anyway?
And even if it doesnt have powersteering, the guy said he was physically fit, so there's nothing wrong with taking a little more effort to steer.

I'm so glad honda has a small quad with efi now, i hate the choke system on the hondas cuz my friend has a foreman500 w/ tracks and the choke on it sucks, you have to pull it out instead of pulling a lever and the choke slowly sinks down again to off position, i still dont like the way reverse is engaged tho.
If i got a new quad, i would probly get the honda 420 or a new KQ450 or the outty500, i like efi but not big engines-cost too much

Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
The new Rancher 420 IS SELECTABLE 2WD/4WD! See that shifter just left of the handlebars.......it is a manual however and not push button electric like the other Hondas.

<a href="http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/utility/model.asp?ModelName=FourTrax+Rancher+4X4&ModelYear =2007&ModelId=TRX420FM7">http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/ut...0FM7</A>

The new Rancher does come out on the heavy side, and 6.5" of ground clearance is kind of low. We will have to wait and see what the rider reviews say!
Yes thats the site I looked at also, I just found it odd they mention selectable 4wd on the 500 Foremans and 400 Rancher but on the new 420 they do not really state it. Whats the difference with the manual type,does that me you can not go from 2wd/4wd while on the fly?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Red Rider

Nobody has actually ridden one, so we will not know about on the fly shifting and such, until we get a rider review.

As for full-time 4wd, it pretty much sucks! I have a Warn 424 on my Rancher, and it is the best mod you can make.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

What would be so bad about fulltime 4x4? Doesnt the 420 have powersteering anyway?
Have you ever tried a power slide or 180 about face while in 4wd? Its just not fun and dangerous. I do not see where they mention it has power steering,I thought only the new 700 Grizzly had that?

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a new quad