Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

when should i change my rear gear case oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when should i change my rear gear case oil?

hey...i've been keeping track on my atv hours and i have about 40 hrs of riding on one the current oil in my rear driveshaft....when should i change it? i looked in the owners manual but it doesnt say anything...trust me, i searched........thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

we have a 250ex same as recon and i think it said after 50hrs than its every 100 hrs

i was bored and changed it after about 20hrs.....i put redline heavy shockproof in but thats kinda over kill

i do check to see if theres any water in it but i dont think i will have to change it again

throw some belray in it a forget about it

Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

Doesn't hurt to change it at your first service. Parts wear as they break-in, so changing the fluid removes anything in the gear oil from assembly and the break-in period. I went with a synthetic gear oil in my Rancher 4x4. It's cheap insurance since you will not be changing it very often, a bottle of synthetic gear oil can last a while.

If you spend a lot of time in water or mud, you need to check it often. Maybe after every ride depending on how much time you spent in the mud/water.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

i bought my quad used september of 05 and i have probably put a zilllion hrs on it, and i havnt changed the rear end fluid once...spose i should

Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

owners manual won't tell you chit, get a service manual. It is worth it's weight in gold [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Don't quote me but I think my Rancher is due every 500hrs or 1000 Miles which ever is first.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me....it's in there! Open your owner's manual and find the two pages that are the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE (it will be at the front of the "Servicing Your Honda" section....about in the middle of the book). Find the line that says "REAR FINAL GEAR CASE OIL". It says to inspect every 200 hours and replace every 2 years.

An extremely important note here........Honda has a vested interest in presenting their vehicles as being "low maintenance". So, the maintenance intervals in the manual are based on operation in "ideal conditions", and we all know that those conditions don't actually exist in the real world! All the maintenance intervals in there are WAY WAY WAY TO LONG..........

First off, on a new machine you should change your engine and final drive oil at 1 hour, to get any shavings out that may be left over from machining. Now Hondas and Suzukis do come very clean from the factory (Yamahas come very dirty!), but it is still a great idea to do it anyway just to play it safe (so at 40 hours you are already to late on that one!).

As for regular maintenance, we ride very dusty conditions and lots of water crossings so I change the final drive oil about every 50-100 hours. It is easy quick and simple and doesn't take much oil, so I don't see any big deal in doing it fairly often........