Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

***** 06 TRX450 Starter Problem *****

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***** 06 TRX450 Starter Problem *****

Originally posted by: reconranger
Had you not seen this post???? <a href="http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=485845&highlight_ key=y&keyword1=450">http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...=450</A>

If you have had the same problem on two different machines, maybe you are doing something wrong????????
After the L&A with the Raptor there was not a problem on my 2001. This is a Honda, start it up the same way, no fuel, in neutral and its been starting like new until this weekend. I have had 13 new atv's since 1999 and I think I know what I am doing. The Raptor and this Honda is the only ones that this problem has occurred and it happens to be just not me.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HAVE A 06 450..ITS A ONE WAY CLUTCH..I ALREADT BURNED ONE UP..U CANT GIVE THE BIKE ANY GAS WHEN U START IT OR IT WILL TURN THAT ONE WAY WAY FASTER THAN IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE...BE SURE TO REPLACE THE ONE WAY CLUTCH AND THE GEAR IT RIDES ON U DONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE CLUTCH OUTER BECAUSE ALL IT DOES IS HOLD THE ONE WAY..REPLY ME BACK IF U HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS

Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MACHINEGUNNER
I HAVE A 06 450..ITS A ONE WAY CLUTCH..I ALREADT BURNED ONE UP..U CANT GIVE THE BIKE ANY GAS WHEN U START IT OR IT WILL TURN THAT ONE WAY WAY FASTER THAN IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE...BE SURE TO REPLACE THE ONE WAY CLUTCH AND THE GEAR IT RIDES ON U DONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE CLUTCH OUTER BECAUSE ALL IT DOES IS HOLD THE ONE WAY..REPLY ME BACK IF U HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS
Thank you, I will be replacing them on Monday if the parts come in.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

Hey raptor owner, pm me or email me at Cooper450@aol.com and i will catch you up and then you can call your dealer. the reason you dont see any of it is cause they get service bullitons at the dealer telling you all the recall and everything. off course they dont tell the public . so if you have any questions feel free, i worked at honda dealer for a while. and i see you live in cali. we should set up a dune trip , we are talking about Dumont or Pismo. let me know

Cooper

Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I AM a certified honda service manager and there is NO recall on the starter unit. Only recall for the 06 is the throttle arm.

I too have an 06 that cooked the starter clutch. Instead I made a kick starter kit work for it as well as the kick starter. That way if the starter ever failed on me again i could at least get the bike started with the kicker

Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DaBeechMan
I AM a certified honda service manager and there is NO recall on the starter unit. Only recall for the 06 is the throttle arm.

I too have an 06 that cooked the starter clutch. Instead I made a kick starter kit work for it as well as the kick starter. That way if the starter ever failed on me again i could at least get the bike started with the kicker
hey Dabeech!! How is it going bro? I havent heard from you in a while. I will be at Pismo tomorrow just hitting the dunes and maybe hang out at the drags just to watch and have fun.

You are right bro. I have the parts coming hopefully Monday. Later!!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Range Rover

hmmm thats weird cause i got a letter in the mail saying there was a recall and i brought it into the dealer and they did it before it went out. when he took the cover off and the starter clutch its self it was really torn up. all they did is called honda and had them run my vin and it fell into the vin range.ive had it done now for over 5 months and everything is great.

Cooper

Old 01-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorOwner
Originally posted by: DaBeechMan

hey Dabeech!! How is it going bro? I havent heard from you in a while. I will be at Pismo tomorrow just hitting the dunes and maybe hang out at the drags just to watch and have fun.

You are right bro. I have the parts coming hopefully Monday. Later!!
Ive been OK. Ive been working on a new project that has taken all my time and money (and no, its not a woman). I rarely make it over here anymore, and it was by sheer coincidence that i saw your post [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Sometime we'll have to meet up and ill take you for a ride in my new "project." Its going to be fast...lol

However, I am dead sure there is no recall. Now, that being said I could warrenty anything on a bike if i was feeling generous. An example, ive warrantied numerous trx450r and crf450r fuel tanks for the simple fact that the steel threaded inserts spun in the nylon tank. Its a 240 dollar tank on the trx and a 320 dollar tank on the crf. Just because it isnt a "recall" doesnt mean the shop wouldnt fix it just to make a happy customer. It doesnt cost the shop money, and it gains them a very happy customer. I do it all the time, and it prospers everybody, except honda (arguably the happy customer will buy another honda down the road, so that may not hurt honda as bad as it sounds)

Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your going to have to send me pics of that project Dabeech !!

Yes that would be nice of the dealer but around here some dont like to do that but just take your money.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mr450Cooper
its a recall on some of the 06 450er the starter clutchs tolerances are to close and freez up
DaBeechMan is correct, there is no recall on the starter clutch. Honda sent out a notice telling dealers to warn their customers of the possibility that they can ruin the starter clutches if the throttle is applied while cranking the engine. They also made it clear that if the starter clutch is damaged, it would not be covered under warranty. If the dealer got yours covered, then consider yourself lucky and be glad you have a dealer who wants to take care of their customers.

Quick Reply: ***** 06 TRX450 Starter Problem *****