Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Pinkies really get sore...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinkies really get sore...

nice quad you got there and welcome to the forums...what you could do is just get rid of your pinkies you don't need them anyhow lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]...if you tape them up does it help at all or could the cold be causing your pinkies to hurt, sometimes the pressure will bother my broken ankle and such...I would try getting you some new grips like recom said and maybe some new bars...wish ya luck

Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinkies really get sore...

I put some gell grips on my Foreman, which really made a difference. Also, I wonder if you migth be looking at the beginnings carpel tunnel syndrome.

Back when I did a lot of manual labor (moving hand pack irrigation, riding a 3 wheeler, tractor work) I had problems with Carpal Tunnel. It started with numbness in my pinkie and ring finger at night, and progressed to numbness across my hand all the time and pain at night. Eventually it got bad enough that I couldn't sleep at night. Although it is apparently unusual for someone with CTS to complain about the pinkie going numb, I saw a doctor who diagnosed CTS.

Anyhow, since the farm work was a temporary thing during college summers, I was able to avoid surgery by using splints at night and prescription strength ibuprofen.

Now, it will only bug me if I weight lift unusually long, go for a long road bicycle ride, or quad over some really rough stuff for a full day, or if I motorcycle in less than warm weather without keeping my hands and wrists warm.

When it does act up, some ibuprofen or naproxen sodium (generic aleve) helps, but wearing the splints for a night or two really helps. The splints are the type that velcro over your hand and wrist, and have a stiffener in them to tip your hand slightly back and take pressure off the nerves.

Though they look nerdly, it beats having numb fingers or having to have surgery...

I don't know if your problem is the same, but I thought I'd throw that out there in case it helps. I understand that a pinched nerve in the spine can also cause hand/pinkie problems... It might be worth asking your doctor about it the next time you go in.