Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

speedometer on 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 02:39 PM
BLC
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read in here a while back that u can put a bike speedometer on a 400ex.... or any quad for that matter... can someone help me cause i the sensor one but i dunno how to get the magnet piece to go onto the wheel..... thanx

Old 12-15-2000, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

Wal-Mart sells a unit from Bell thats 20 bucks and works flawlessly, ity is high quality, water and mud proof and can be calibrated for any tire. I had to lenghen the wires by 1 foot but that was easy, the sensor was epoxied on the caliper and the magnet was epoxied on the inside of the rim, it has a odometer, trip odometer, current speed, average speed, maximun speed reached, timer, and time, it is awsome and is made to mou t to handlebars already, I love mine, so far I've had mine up to 85 mph with my 16 tooth renthall and new sidewinder 34 in the rear, that is cruisin!!!!

Old 12-15-2000, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

There's also a guy on ebay who auctions off electronic cats eye bike speedos.
The bidding starts at 42 bucks, but if you contact him and tell him you just want to buy one he'll give it to you slightly cheaper.
Just search on ebay "ATV speedometer" and he should come up
Mike

Old 12-19-2000, 12:03 AM
BLC
Trailblazer

if any of u have a pic of your setup or know anything about helping me set up my speedo please reply thanx

Old 12-19-2000, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also tryed to install this device and do not understand how to do it. please send me a photo or detailed installtion steps. Thanxs
Polycrack@yahoo.com

Old 12-19-2000, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, here's the excessively detailed installation instrucions.

First mount the speedometer on your handlebars, probably on the left bar next to the clutch perch. This should be easy since the speedometer is made to go on bike handlebars. Next, run the wire on the speedometer down the handlebars next to the stock wiring. On the end of the wire is the magnetic pick-up, this needs to be down by your front brake caliper (left or right, your preference). But, usually the wire that comes with the speedometer is not quite long enough to reach all the way down there. So, you need to cut into the middle of the wire somewhere and add in 1-2 feet of your own wire, using butt connectors to crimp ends the wires together. It is two conductor wire, so using something like 1-2 feet of small speaker wire will work fine. Once the wire is long enough, make sure it's tucked away and zip-tied out of the way of tree branches and such (I ran my wire right alongside the brake line). Mount the magnetic pick-up to your brake caliper or spindle somewhere, so that the tip of the pick-up is very close to the inside of the rim, where the magnet will be glued. You may have to use zip-ties, epoxy (glue), or something else depending on the exact pick-up (they're all a little different). If you use the magnet that came with the speedometer (the thing that is supposed to go on the bike spokes), the tip will need to be within a quarter inch or so of the magnet when it passes by. If you go to radio shack and buy some of their 1" square flat magnets (like I did), the pickup will work without being quite so close (within 3/4" roughly). Glue the magnet onto the rim so that when the wheel rolls the magnet will pass by very close to the tip of the pick-up. You will need to use very strong glue, since I've already lost one magnet. Walmart has a few different kinds of epoxy glue (the kind you have to mix two parts together), get the one with the highest strenght.

I think you should be able to install it no problem with these instructions. If you are uncertain about something, just use common sense, and you'll be fine. Total time it took to install for me was about half an hour, plus drying time for the epoxy. There will be a paper that came with the speedometer saying how to program the tire size in. Use the value off that for a 22" tire and your calibrations should be very close to being right on. Good luck

Old 12-19-2000, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I'm about to install one on my 300ex next week so i'll post some pictures here after i'm done.
Mike

Old 01-11-2022, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Mike300ex
I'm about to install one on my 300ex next week so i'll post some pictures here after i'm done.
Mike
I've been waiting 22 years for those pictures.