Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Expected Life of a starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expected Life of a starter

Hello,
I have an 01 Rubicon Foreman 4x4 and approximately june of 06 had to replace the original starter. Last week, when trying to start the atv, I got the clicking sound again. I put the curcuit tester on the starter and I get a light but the starter won't turn over. I've checked the battery and it is fine, 282 cranking amps. The atv pull starts fine. Seems to be pointing to the starter again. The starter was brand new. What's the expected life of a starter? We use the atv twice a day to haul to a field. Two different people use the atv. Would that amount of activity cause it to go out and /or what could be happening to cause the starter to go bad after 6 months?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

My family has a dairyfarm and the atv's get lotsa use. My brother will keep one around 5 yrs. He has many different brands and never has put a starter on any of them. Look below at "Recon 250te" and they talk about checking the battery and connects. Also, was the replacement a Honda starter or some cheap reman? The things most starters don't like is prolong cranking from a hard to start engine and lotsa cranking with a battery that is weak. Both will cause the current to go up and will burn the starter up.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. The starter was brand new, from Honda. I'll check out that thread. It just seems odd if it's the starter.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

I just remember I use to have an old Honda riding mower and the solenoids on them were crap. I bypass the factory one and installed a Ford type solenoid on the frame and never had another problem. It would click and sometimes try to start turning and kick out.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there a way of testing the solenoid? I also read the thread you mentioned. It sounds like the same problem. I have a new battery and it just clicks. I need to get a volt meter to test.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well, if your circuit lite comes on at the starter, you are getting power. Next, if you have a circuit lite on you. Go from the positive on the battery to the starter. Try to start and see if the lite comes on any (it may be pretty dim) we are checking for voltage drop to the starter. To much and it will click. It is best to use a DVOM to know what it is. Is your solenoid on your starter? My old 84 trx200 isn't but the 89 mower I had was.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for the delay, the solenoid is not on the starter. It's near the battery and the fuses. I think. I'm not sure I'm following you on the test between the battery positive and the starter. The curcuit light I have has the grounding clip on one end and the rod on the other. Is that what I should be using or are you meaning a volt meter? Sorry for the dumb questions, my electrical understanding is very basic.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

You need to check to see if you are getting full battery voltage to the starter. With a meter, if you go from the battery positive to the positive connection on the starter, when you hit the switch you will have so lost of voltage in the wire. Some is expected, like up to .5 volts. More than 1 volt is to much. It could be caused from a bad connection, a bad wire, etc. Also check the negative side the same way, from the battery negative to a good ground on the quad. This is just one way out of a 1000 to do this. If you replace it with a Honda starter, what type of warranty came with it. Some oem parts come with a year.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well as for you starter problem i cant tell you anything then anyone else has already said. A weak battery is killer on starters and its always a good idea to use a battery tender, it will keep ur battery in top shap and be easier on ur starter.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, I'm learning more about electrical stuff everyday, so I'm not sure what a battery tender is.

Quick Reply: Expected Life of a starter