Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default single jets

new member here. I've got an 05 trx 450r and have done the following mods.: white brothers E2 silencer, k&n filter w/ outerwear, k&n powerlid w/outerwear. The powerlid came with instructions on changing jetting, needle height adj., and pilot screw adjustments. Changing jets is easy on the honda. loosen both hoseclamps, drain float bowl(there is a hose to drain it without making a mess), remove bowl drain plug and tilt carb slightly to gain access to the jet. Thats it. But I have a question; the powerlid came with a 165 and 170 jet if no other mods. have been done. I am up to a 210 jet and still feel like the fuel mixture is not rich enough(judging by the spark plug-not that tan/brown color that I want to see). I am trying to go too fat and then back off a jet size or 2. Also, is the pilot screw similar to an idle mixture screw? I have been trying to dial in the fuel curve and I noticed a slight hesitation off-idle as I "blip" the throttle. Overall I can feel that it runs stronger, but dont want to sacrifice rideability, if that makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

Are you runnign without an airbox because without an airbox I believe you should be running a 180-185 main and about a 50 pilot...What do you have the needle set at setting wise because you might want to try and adjust that using your 2 jets that came with the kit...The pilot jet is the same thing as the slow jet or idle mix screw, but there should be an air fuel mixture screw where on my brp its in the mouth of the carb, but not sure where Honda puts it it is prob on the outside and this will help you to change you setting depending on how many screws out the company says to go...I have yet to do my 450r carb because I really don't have any mods with it, but how much better was the power once you put on the upgrades and one other thing to warn you about because I don't want you to ruin your quad is the K&N's allow a lot of dirt and junk to get through and it will stick on your valves and after a little while it will cause engine failure, just to give ya heads up...check to see if you can dial it in with the air/fuel screw and the needle setting...and here is a diagram of the 05 carb and welcome to the forums.

http://216.37.204.203/Honda_OEM/Hond...=13&A=200&B=23

Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default single jets

The powerlid instructions say to remove the clip on the needle jet and move it down one position(bringing the needle higher up 1 setting, allowing more fuel flow I presume). It also said that with any other modification(i.e. exhaust), I may have to step up the jetting up to 21 steps past stock. I am not quite that far yet, but the local dealer has jets up to 230, and I am up to 210. I am an automotive technician by trade, and everything I own has a k&n. I went with a k&n because there are some hokey looking filters out there that don't mount properly(filters falling off in the airbox, etc..) which is last thing I want. k&n,in my opinion, seems to have done their homework on making their stuff install securely in stock locations. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice for filtration. From what I've read, the airbox is very restrictive, and the powerlid was a safe way to free up airflow, but filter good as well.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default single jets

oh, yeah, the power increase seems to be there, but I have yet to put it through "a series of rugged tests". I've only ridden up and down the street, and I'm sure the neighbors are loving it. god bless good neighbors. I am taking a 3 day weekend this week to go down to lake murray, OKLA. I've heard its a pretty cool place to ride. We shall find out.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

Yea I knwo what you mean with the K&N's I run them on my Ds and truck and haven't had a problem with them before and I even ordered one for my 450r before I was told about the dirt getting on the titanium valves of the 450r and I didn't want to cause any harm to my 450r so I will wind up getting an aftermarket foam filter...Problably the best upgrade for the money on the 450r is the Honda Hrc kit and it is under $400...I am going to school for being a Ford tech in June how do you like it and I was told to go into diesels.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default single jets

I would have left the dang thing bone stock but the muffler is sooooo quiet, when I'm riding with other friends, not only could I not hear my own quad, but anyone in front of me couldn't hear me even when I'm right behind them(even though theyr'e not in front of me for long, he he), making it scary if they had to panic stop. It was to the point of being dangerous, so I went with the white bros. E2, supposedly its the quietest aftermarket silencer(there are alot of obnoxiously loud mufflers out there and I cant stand that fart can sound) available. And, while opening up the exhaust side of things, I figured opening up the intake side would be the first step to MORE POWER. B.T.W., the silencer was supposed to come with a 180 jet(it didnt, but I bought one anyway). And also, I was referring to the pilot screw, not pilot jet. the powerlid takes place of the stock airbox lid. To anyone out there who has one, keep your stock airbox lid with you and put it on when you wash your quad to keep water out of the airbox.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

your dealer told ya about maintanace I hope plus being a mechanic I am sure you already know about it...the stock exhaust does stink and when I get on my ds it has prob one of the loudest exhausts on it...if you have any ?'s let me know.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

Here is an article about carbs.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

That is for a cv carb, but will give you the main idea of the idle screw.

Quick Reply: single jets