Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

single jets

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single jets

i know this is a stupid question but are single jets just like screws or whatever and do u just take out the stock ones and screw the other ones in in the carb? ha

Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

Well there are different types of jets they go by sizes...The Pilot jet is used in the carb when you are at lower rpms and then when you get into higher rpms the main jet kicks in...The needle rests in the main jet in the carb and yes you just screw them in, but when taking the carb apart you must be gentle so you don't mess up the float of the carb or else you might not get gas...Also make sure you don't tighten the jets too tightly all you want to do is snug them up...Jetting the carb depends on what kind of mods you have to the quad for instance an exhaust and airfilter will cause you to have to want to change the jets or else you will be running a lean mixture. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default single jets

Yes ,they look like a flathead screw with a hole in the middle . Different size hole = different size jet . They are inside the float bowl on your carburetor. Just take it out and put the new one in. YOUR DONE ! The hard part is usually just getting to the carb.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

Do you have to take the carb out before you can rejet, because it is a pretty tight space? I'ld be afraid to get dust/dirt in there

What do you have to do to rejet, as in taking it apart?
just take off the carb top and remove the throttle cable and do some stuff, then locate the stock main jet inside the float bowl (so obviously you have to take it out right?) then remove the stock main jet and replace with dynojet main jet (this is for dynojet, duh, hehe)

Is that all, or is it much more confusing

Old 03-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

Yes crazy you will need to take the carb out, but before you go undoing it I would recommend shutting the as off and run all of the gas out of the carb so you won't have to worry about it when taking the bowl off of the carb...When you tak the carb off you most likely won't have to take the throttle cable off and I just did my neighbors Honda withough taking the vaccuum lines and gas lines off, but if you need to then take them off and make sure you know where they hook up when you are done...Take the boot from the airbox off of the carb and however brp set up the 250 you will need to disconnect the carb from the engine side also...Flip the carb over and undo the bowl of the carb...Now you will see the pilot jet and main jet which is in the middle and the main will have the larger numbers printed on it...Just unscrew the jets and depending on what mods you have you will need to rejet accordingly and set the needle at a certain position on the clip...Also you will want to turn the pilot screw not the pilot jet to adjust your mixture(the fuel screw should be at the mouth of the carb which is a pretty small screw)...To adjust the needle you will need to take the top off of the carb to adjust that and make sure you don't lose any of the springs and other pieces that are in there...Once you are finished you can put everything back together and once you get it back and running that is when you adjust your fuel screw unless it is running fine...If you don't have atleast an exhuast and airfilter I wouldn't worry about jetting or an aftermarket airfilter with an open airbox, but if you have just a few mods and your quad seems to be running fine just check your plug to make sure there isn't a white tip and if there isn't then you are fine.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

i've tried running it without the airbox lid without rejetting, it was already warmed up but it ran lean and shut off when i blipped the throttle like a cold engine with no choke @ -20 celsius

Does taking the baffle off lean out the mixture a bit too? I noticed that there is a small delay in throttle response if i take the endcap/baffle off. I'm ot worried about noise, tractors are still much louder.

I'm planning on going no lid and baffle removed, i want to remove the baffle because on the site below it says something about a high flow baffle, and no baffle would be the same as high flow baffle i think

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q714.pdf

Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

and is it real easy to do and not complicated? or should i just take it to a local dealer and have them install the jet kit, im also planning on getting a +4 durablu axle and im not sure how hard that would be to install or if i could do it myself in one afternoon.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default single jets

i just have an hmf exhaust, how much would that cost me to get single jets to make it run good and would it be diffucult to install them

Old 03-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default single jets

Crazy by no means am I trying to insult you or the quad by saying this but when I used to buy parts for my ozark the guy told me don't waste your money on too many parts...The reason is you could spend a fortune on the 250, but you would be better off buying another quad and when you sell it you won't get your money out of it...It is up to you to where you spend your money, but just wanted to let you know...The baffles being out along with the airbox lid off might give you a little bit of power, but a great hp increase no...You should be able to pick up some larger jets at the bomb dealer just find out what size you have now and go up about a 1 size or 2 they are really cheap or try adjusting your needle and air/fuel mixture screw and see if that helps...Also you will need to keep the airfilter clean with the lid off since it allow much more air to get into the box.

atvrider the jets are very inexpensive and you will be able to purchase some at the stealer just do as I said on the procedure and if you need any clarification on it I will be glad to help...What quad do you have because I should be able to give you a picture with labels on them so you know what you are up against.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default single jets

2000 400ex

Quick Reply: single jets