Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Please help with noise in 04 recon!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with noise in 04 recon!

OK, I'm not the best with wrenches but I'll try and describe it. I recently did some brake work on the front end and adjusted the back brakes a little tighter as well as changed the rear end oil. Today I was driving it around and thought I heard a little bit of a "whine" coming from the rear end. Not too long after that it started a small "clunking" noise also coming from the rear end. I thought maybe I had the brakes a little too tight. The bike seems to go fine except for the noise which isn't all the time but about 50%. I put it up on jacks and went through the gears with no noise. The rear tires seem normal, (no play or shake). I'm going to try and take it apart tomorrow and was just wondering what I should look for. Any ideas please...
When I filled the rear end back up I had my buddy,who works on atvs all the time, check it to make sure I had enough in there. I just bought this bike and have only ridden it 6-8 times but now I'm worried...Help Please!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain the rear end and carefully check for any metal shavings.

What oil did you put in the rear end???? It should be an 80W90 GL5 "hypoid" gear oil. Make sure you add enough until it comes out the weep hole. Ride it a little, then check it again and top it up if necessary.

My personal preference is Maxima 75W90 full synthetic gear oil (http://www.maximausa.com/products/ge...thgearlube.asp).

Old 03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I put more oil in than it had when I drained it and still nothing ever came out of a "weep hole". I'm not sure what oil it was but it was gear oil that my buddy uses in all of his atvs. Any guesses as to what happened? Could it damage the rear end to put too much oil in???

Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

If oil didn't come out the check hole, you might have run it without enough oil and damaged the gears?????

It is real easy to change, so I would be sure I had the proper oil and just change it out and refill it just in case.......

Old 03-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, I'm an idiot. I found the check hole and it was WAY too full. I changed the oil and filled it correctly. I took it out and rode for about 30 min. I sounded fine at first but then started making and occosional clunking sound. Not real loud but I heard it. When I was draining the oil I did notice a little bit of a silverish color at the end of the drain but no distinct shavings. I am contimplating taking it apart but I'm not sure where to even start and what I should be looking for. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you know of a website that might have some directions that I could follow. Preferably free of course. Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

you should buy a clymer manual, it may cost 40 bucks but its well worth it...it will tell you how to take your rear end apart piece for piece and how to put it back together as well as almost anything else. so if you think your gonna be doing alot of work yourself rather than taking it in, i think itd be a very worthwhile investment....about 3 months ago, i had to replace my axle, and i used the book, it was pretty easy, but i didnt go as far into the rear end as you would have to

Old 03-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Bad rear wheel bearing ??

----- Gimp -----

Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

no it's not the wheel bearing. It's coming from the rear end. Haven't got a chance to tear it apart yet. Maybe this weekend. I'm guessing a pinion gear??? Thanks anyway.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry,
There is a bearing on the brake side of the differential, they call it a brake panel bearing I call it the right side wheel bearing. When it goes bad it sounds like the differential is making noise, since the brake is inside the outer differential case.
my bad

----- Gregg -----