Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Cold Starting? What has happened to Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are HOnda's so cold blooded though?? everyone that has a Honda around here can't get them started because it is too cold (-10º). But I started my quad with the first pull. Not saying one is better than the other but, why is it they are hard to start, it can't be the lean condition, because my quad runs way too lean too, and it still runs and starts just fine.

Old 12-22-2000, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

My 98 450-s always starts no matter how cold, very little choke needed, my daddy-in-law's es is very cold blooded, but he can run a lot longer on a tank of gas then me. Go figure.

98 450-s
stock
blackwaters
13600 mi

Old 12-22-2000, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

My 400 has started in 20 degree weather. You just have to be patient and let it warm up for 10-15 mins. But the ride is well worth the wait.

Don't forget the 400 has an accelerator pump carb( when you blip the throttle, it shoots a little squirt of gas into the motor). This can lead to very easy plug fouling. Only press the throttle ONCE with the choke on full. I found this out the hard way. If you manage to foul a plug with the 400 and you don't have a spare. Clean the plug fire up the quad and take it for a hell run. Wide open through all five gears. Don't let it sit and idle or it'll never get cleaned out. It will only backfire and miss.
I hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2000, 11:10 PM

my EX has no problem starting for me in the cold here in Montana... after I charged the battery when it wouldnt start i can go out any time and it starts up, Motorhead could prob. be able to figure out what the weather is like since he lives in Idaho

Old 12-22-2000, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

my 88 250x starts at any temperature its extremly reiable. And believe me this thing has not even coem close to being babied. Put it this way i havent adjusted the valves since i owned it in 92(before that my uncle raced it} it has a bent frame and 2 bent rims with a huge crack in almost every fender. Yea i know its in rough shape but it starts a heck of a lot better then my mint 1999 Honda 400EX with a PowerCore IV Silencer, DYNO JET Jet Kit, WHITE BROS rev kit, Answer Aluminum Handle Bar w/ Pro grips, Armadillo skid plate, Bandit XC’s on Douglas .190’s, K&N air filter with outerwears with holes drilled in the air box, and ebc pads all around (had to add the mods list)

yea and i know i can write for shnitz

Old 12-23-2000, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

400EX can be cold blooded, mine starts pretty good but every once in a while I have to jump it to crank it faster, thats it, i think the battery is getting weak. It's 2 degrees here in NE PA and I just got done riding, not to cold for the honda, too cold for me!! Some 400EX's are quite cold blooded though, mine is better because it is jetted properly I think, mainly the stock ones won;t start, from what I've heard, i dunno?

Old 12-23-2000, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

>>>>>Thor,
YOu need to get your facts straight. The Recon is cold natured whether its 60 degrees or 6 degree. I don't see where this is some design flaw that you are alluding too.

I merely stated a fact that some models of Hondas are becoming harder to start and warm up quickly. And backed it up with one example, there are more but I did not believe that more were necessary

>>>>>Your quoting one guy who is having a problem starting his rancher? YOu base your opinions on one person, man what a narrow view.

Your opinion is incorrect, open your eyes and read the other threads. Do a search; use the word cold or start for key words. The information is out there if you want to look for it.

>>>>We went riding in the snow last weekend & its was in 20's & my Rancher fired up no problem. See I have already contradicted your statement.

I did not know that we were dealing in absolutes and that starting was an all or nothing proposition. Such as, "My Rancher started", therefore all Ranchers will start because mine did.

Or maybe we can discuss 400's and somebody will say, "My Rubicon always starts!" Therefore all Hondas always start.

>>>>>Your statements do nothing but inflame the Honda vs Polaris issue.

Not really, but there are those within the ATV Connection who cannot discuss or bear to hear anything of a negative nature regarding their chosen brand of ATV. Certain people fly off of the handle and immediately go into attack mode as you have.

>>>>>Here is an example of me using your rational.

There was a post this week about a Sportsman burning a belt, yet everyone on the Polaris forums states they are "bullet proof".
Using your train of thought I would have to classify all sportsman in this category & say their belts just can't hold up.

>>>>>Hmmmm, maybe people should think before they type.

Yes they should.

Old 12-23-2000, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, with all the problems Honda is having in the eyes off Polaris owners, Maybe Honda is going the way of Polaris. Its funny when people come over here & bash Honda's, even if it slight.
Whats that saying, "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!"

Merry Christmas

Old 12-23-2000, 02:03 AM
Trailblazer

It's 16 degrees outside right now and I had my 2001 Rancher sitting on my truck so I went out to see how it would perform after I read this thread. With it fully choked it wouldn't start even with me pumping the throttle. I cranked it for about a minute. I then gave it three pushes on the primer and it fired right up. It's idling now to rebuild the battery.

Old 12-23-2000, 02:45 AM
Range Rover

I don't buy that either. I have many an ATC and only one of them has trouble starting cold, or anytime. That one is a little 185S. All the 250R's have no problem. I think it is the fact the four strokes compared to two to make it fire. This would require more cranking. I'm sure there are many four strokes that start great in the cold, it just so happens that mine doesn't. I am not bashing four strokes this is just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Cold Starting? What has happened to Honda?