Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Cold Starting? What has happened to Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reading the threads lately, it seems apparent that Honda may be losing its golden touch for dependability.

Some of the newer products (400EX and Recon models) are tempermental and do not want to start as the temperature dips down into the colder ranges. Even those quads south of the Mason-Dixon line are reluctant to start. What is up with that?

I don't know how many older Hondas I see out on the lakes while ice fishing on the weekends here in Minnesota. The temperatures are below 0 and the old three wheelers and 300s are everywhere, starting and driving with no problem.

Their owners love them. (and have never heard of the ATV Connection or Dirt Wheels)

Now Honda has new models that require thermal blankets, salamanders, ether, jumper cables, battery chargers and the works.

Is Honda becoming too Americanized and complacent?

Old 12-22-2000, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

i have no complaints about my 300ex starting in the cold

snap the choke on, let it idle for about 10 minutes, you are good to go.

Funny thing. my 94 never needed the choke when it was cold..but this 00 does..go figure!

Old 12-22-2000, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have that much trouble starting my '99 300ex in this cold weather. All I have to do is choke it a little and make sure it warms up before I take off. I am happy to say that this is the only time of year that I have to actually use the choke.

Old 12-22-2000, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

2001 Rubicon and -11 this morning and it started right up after sitting 2 weeks. No problems here.

The Rubicon transmission has not failed me yet. This is actually my second Hondamatic transmission. The first is a 1978 CB750, it too has had no problems and it's 24 years old. So much for you theory.

Old 12-22-2000, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

I don't buy into your theory either. Thor you live in MN like me so you can appreciate how nasty it's been lately. We'll last night I had to crank on my sp500 for about 3 minutes before I got it going, thought it wasn't going to go. I don't think my rancher starts any harder than a polaris, yammy or other comparable quad.

Old 12-22-2000, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Gentlemen its not a theory.

There have been numerous reports here on another thread about 400 ex models being reluctant to start in the colder weather. And I read the same things about the Recon. Perhaps it is because of the EPA regulations mandated by the government for leaner carburetion.

I just didn't notice as many "cold blooded" posts regarding starting and driveability in the past as I have this year.

Old 12-22-2000, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is right about the 400ex it is very cold blooded. A week after I had mine it would not start. Then last winter I had no problems after adding a pipe, K&N, and rejetting. But it was fairly warm last winter. So far this winter I have experienced no riding because it won't start. Pretty sure the plug is fouled at this point. All my tires went flat from sitting so long too It has only been around -10 here in Minnesota this past week and it doesn't look to be getting any better next week. I really need a heated garage!

Old 12-22-2000, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

My 400ex is a little bit hard to start in the sub-40 degree temperatures, but nothing serious. Turn the choke full-on, pump the gas a couple times, and it'll fire right up, but die pretty quickly. Usually on the 2nd try I can keep it going, but it takes a little bit of warming up before it'll idle on it's own. What do you expect from a cammed-up 9000rpm four-stroke?

Old 12-22-2000, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Taken from another thread

>>>>>>> I have a rancher es 4x4 and when its cold out side(25-15) it never wants to start. Primed or choked it will never start till I get a heater and set it next to it then I get it warmed up and shut
the choke off the idle doesn't come down, it stays at a high rpm then i turn the idle **** all the way down and ride for 10 mins and shut it off and reset the idle its really begining to **** me off.

Old 12-22-2000, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thor,

YOu need to get your facts straight. The Recon is cold natured whether its 60 degrees or 6 degree. I don't see where this is some design flaw that you are alluding too.

Your quoting one guy who is having a problem starting his rancher? YOu base your opinions on one person, man what a narrow view. We went riding in the snow last weekend & its was in 20's & my Rancher fired up no problem. See I have already contradicted your statement.

Your statements do nothing but inflame the Honda vs Polaris issue.

Here is an example of me using your rational.

There was a post this week about a Sportsman burning a belt, yet everyone on the Polaris forums states they are "bullet proof".
Using your train of thought I would have to classify all sportsman in this category & say their belts just can't hold up.

Hmmmm, maybe people should think before they type.

Quick Reply: Cold Starting? What has happened to Honda?