Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just bought a new TRX450R

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a new TRX450R

Originally posted by: TRX450Rrider
It's really up to your skill as a rider. I've never flipped mine while turning...(jumping is another thing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) but I would say as far as the other 450's in it's class it sits pretty tall. A few adjustments on the front springs can fix this problem for the most part. If you're looking for stability in turns and better sag, I'd go with the Suzuki ltr450 or buy extended A-arms for the honda.
Well Im not going to get a different quad now thats for sure, plus I thought the zukis were ugly.

I havent read the owners manual yet, but how easy is it to adjust the shocks? It seems pretty stiff right now. I want soft for cornering right?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

I do it on average about every 5 not saying I do it exactly at 5, but somewhere around there...That is what I prefer so thats why I can't it so often.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

5hrs is extreme but it could depend on how hard you ride it. i have an 04 model with the less volitile engine and the manual does not say every 5hrs for the engine side. i dont know what the maual for the 06 and up says.

anyway just changed it saturday and the oil was clean and fine. could have went longer; that oil had more than 5hrs of riding on it and i was ripping pretty good. the 450r engine is a good one. if they can only improve the rest of the bike...

Old 04-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

Congratulations on your new purchase. I change my oil frequently, and clean my air filter after every ride.

My opinion is that I have just made a very, very large investment in what amounts to a toy. My quad often sees 10,000 rpm. Because of this, I feel the cost of an oil change is minimal at best.

I bought two air filter assemblies; one is in a sealed plastic bag, oiled, and ready to go.

Again, extremely inexpensive insurance.

As for adjusting the shocks, for 99% of us, it is as simple as turning the adjusters. Unless you are a preofessional racer, I think simple trial and error will be fine. Then again, if you are a professional racer, you have a mechanic that can adjust the suspension for you.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

Adjusting the shocks on the 450R is actually pretty easy. Just tap the top counterscrewed ring loose and then adjust the ring that holds the spring up a few turns higher. This will help the spring lengthen and in turn you will get more movement from the front springs. Adjusting the clickers on the springs will slow the rebound so it doesn't feel as stiff. This made a nice change in the sag of my front shocks but I ride in the sand where sucking up the woops smoothly and turning smoothly is kind of important. Adjustments really should be made for the type of riding and the weight of the rider. Trial and error is always best when making fine tune adjustments.

I also recommend dropping a tooth on the front sprocket. This makes a DRASTIC improvement on your bottom end and if you drag race often, there isn't another 450 out that can hold speed up hill with the TRX on a 13 tooth front sprocket. This is strictly my own experience with it. Others may hold a different opinion.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

You say I should drop a tooth on the front sprocket? How do I do this? Do I have to purchase a new sprocket?

Also what brand boots should I go with?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

yes, you do need to buy a new sprocket but the front ones are cheap. I got one for 13 bucks. As far as boots go, that's something you're gonna want to try on and buy for comfort. I recommend Alpinestars. They have the best latches and are the most comfortable, for me that is. You might find another brand that suits your needs. Try on multiple kinds and pick what feels the best.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yea just get yourself a new sprocket and adjust the chain accordingly and you will be better off when going in the trails...wish ya luck and if you have any ?'s I am sure someone would be glad to help ya out.