Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil Dilemma........Still

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Dilemma........Still

I have read the oil specifications in the Rincon 07 manual, and have found several automotive oils that fit the specs listed in the manual. The classifications are as follows:

API Classification:
SG or higher except oils labeled as "Energy Conserving" on the circular API Service Label.

Viscosity (Weight):
13W-30 or 10W-40

Here's what's throwing me a curve:

JASO T 903 Standard:
MA

I asked the dealer what this specifies and they just stand there with a stupid look on their faces. As far as I can see, the Castrol 10W-30 or 10W-40 should work just fine. It has a higher rating (SM) than what they reccomend, and it does not have the (Energy Conserving) label on the circular. I understand that Energy conserving pertains to the additives in the oil to reduce friction. Does anyone have more info or input that may help me?

I just can't see paying the rip off price of $7.00 Quart that my dealers want when I can buy Castrol with the same quality and specs as Honda oil for $2.30 Quart

Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

all i can say is good luck. there have been several posts on here about the various oils to use. being you have the auto tranny with the torque converter thing, it might work ok, i dont know. The JASO MA is another certification and that mostly has to do with using the oil in the engine that shares oil with the transmission, and wet clutches.. the gears in the transmission have a tendency to degrade the viscocity of the oil over time, and i'm sure you have some gears in yours, not as many as other machines. In my opinion, the JASO MA standard is VERY important. it's what separates motorcycle oils from normal automobile engine oils.

what i cant understand is why you buy the 2007 top-o-the-line honda atv and then cant afford to maintain it

Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to read this: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

The API SG certification insures that the oil at least has a descent additive package, and the JASO MA insures that it doesn't have anything that will make a clutch slip. JASO MB oils have friction modifiers (like moly), and are intended ONLY to be used in the engine (not the transmission) side of a Honda 450R (or 450/250/150 dirt bikes)....God Bless Honda!

I highly recommend Maxima oils. They are all API SG/JASO MA and Maxima has the best additive package in the industry. Oil is no place to try and save a buck....use a good oil, and insure the longevity of your engine/transmission!

My personal favorite oil is Maxima Extra, ester based 100% synthetic. I pay about $7 per liter for it (a liter is larger than a quart).

Old 04-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

Quote "what i cant understand is why you buy the 2007 top-o-the-line honda atv and then cant afford to maintain it "

Just because you spend more money for oil doesn't neccesarily make it better. There are no clutches in the Rubicon tranny and no gears. of course it's the people that don't know better that think if you paid more it's better. It's not a matter of me being able to afford it. Also, the old term "You get what you pay for" is a lie. I've proven it wrong many times. If a guy can save money on the oil and get the same protection, why not?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Red Rider

No clutches??? There is a reason that Honda spec'd JASO MA for your machine....don't you think???? Or maybe you just know better than all those Honda engineers???

Nobody is going to give you something for nothing, and oil is no exception to that rule....YOU WON'T GET WHAT YOU DON'T PAY FOR! There is this idea that oil is oil is oil....and it just isn't true. Oil is the one place where a little extra money can net you some big gains. The difference in quality, chemistry, additive package between $2 per quart oil and $8 per quart is HUGE!

A few years ago I was totally ignorant about oil, and that is an embarasment to me because I am a professional biochemist. I spent a lot of time studying the topic, so I try to contribute to all the oil posts that I can. The info is all out there and anybody can educate themselves, but I reach a point where I want to just tell everybody to run **** in their engines becasue so many people just choose to remain oblivious!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedRubi
Quote "what i cant understand is why you buy the 2007 top-o-the-line honda atv and then cant afford to maintain it "

Just because you spend more money for oil doesn't neccesarily make it better. There are no clutches in the Rubicon tranny and no gears. of course it's the people that don't know better that think if you paid more it's better. It's not a matter of me being able to afford it. Also, the old term "You get what you pay for" is a lie. I've proven it wrong many times. If a guy can save money on the oil and get the same protection, why not?
I thought you said it was a Rincon??????? Now I'm confused!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

"You get what you pay for" is a lie. I've proven it wrong many times. If a guy can save money on the oil and get the same protection, why not?
How true!!!!
Some of these sites may help you.
Super good oil thread!!! Read the last part, twice. You will find your answer in here.
Short thread on oil
Oil
Oil

I could list Zillions more but why bother. If people don't get it form these, they never will; and that's fine with me.

And if you still are not done reading, you can go to the oil thread where I did a little math that proved you can save over $4,000 if you choose wisely. Just do a search on my handle on the Honda site.

BTW: What do I know? I'm not a biochemist, I'm an engine builder and a crew chief for three very competitive class race teams and a driver for one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Happy reading.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for al;l the information everyone. After extensive reading, Rotella 15-40 seems to be the best choice for me. It has better additives than so called Motorcycle oil and costs about 1/3. Thanks again. I'm off to Walmart.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I don't know about his debate.....

I just don't find it a problem to spend $12 for two liters of Amsoil, twice a year.....

I guess if I was riding a 450, and needed to change my oil 10 times a season I might think different....

But to me the knowledge that I'm using one of the best oils money can buy, is worth the extra $12 I'm supposedly now "wasting".......

Old 04-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Red Rider

I think RedRubi had his mind made up on what he wanted to do....long before he posted this thread! So, no amount of logic was ever going to be sufficient to change his mind.....