Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how much do it cost to own and keep/maintain a trx250r running good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much do it cost to own and keep/maintain a trx250r running good?

how much does it cost to maintain a trx250r? as in rebuilds- how often to you have to do a rebuild on average if you dont ride the p!ss out of it, 100 hours? 200hours? i put in about 100 hours per year and i dont want to put rebuild it more than twice every three years.

and if it is 20 years old and the previous owner put on 100 hours per year, that is 2000 hours- at 60mph in a car, that is 120,000 miles- dont most car breakdowns occur at around 120,000miles?

Old 04-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

You've got the bike all wrong man....

With good quality and consistant pre-mix oil used (32:1 is what I recommend) the little 2 stroke 250 screamer will run for YEARS with no top end rebuild.
(thousands of hours)

To maintain a 250R is no more expensive to maintain than any other bike. Change the gearbox oil every once in a while, change the coolant every year or so... etc.

Rebuilding a 250R at 100 hours of use is a complete waste of time and money.

BTW, anything built by GM might start to fail (or already be scrapped) by 120K miles, but most other cars and trucks, especially Hondas and Toyotas are just getting broken in at 120K miles.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mr350X
You've got the bike all wrong man....

With good quality and consistant pre-mix oil used (32:1 is what I recommend) the little 2 stroke 250 screamer will run for YEARS with no top end rebuild.
(thousands of hours)

To maintain a 250R is no more expensive to maintain than any other bike. Change the gearbox oil every once in a while, change the coolant every year or so... etc.

Rebuilding a 250R at 100 hours of use is a complete waste of time and money.

BTW, anything built by GM might start to fail (or already be scrapped) by 120K miles, but most other cars and trucks, especially Hondas and Toyotas are just getting broken in at 120K miles.
you'ld better not be lying about not having to rebuild it every 100hours....... that is music to my ears- it sounds much easier and less worrysome to maintain than a predator (if the 250r hardly ever needs a rebuild, how come the 450r needs a rebuild if you race it?- or is it ONLY if you race it?)

so this thing only needs gearbox changes and premix, since there isnt any valves or cams like on a 4 stroke? I thought all 2 strokes needed rebuilds quite often compared to 4 strokes (isnt that why people get 4 strokes nowadays, other than that they polute a lot and have less torque than the 450s)

and they are cheaper [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

and you're not serious about honda's and toyota's breaking in at 120,000miles are you? thats is just insane (except for this one guy i heard of with a car with 800,000miles on it.)

Old 04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yes im absolutely serious about Hondas and Toyotas not being fazed by 120K miles.

The 450s are high tech 4 strokes that have lots of moving parts that rev very high and might require a rebuild more often
if raced, like any other bike. If raced frequently, they might need rebuilding every 100 hours..

I can assure you that a 2 stroke like the 250R, or Banshee is made to scream all day long, as that was the intentions of the engineers who designed them!

If your worried about maintenance, dont worry. There is less required than a 4 stroke. (no valve clearances to check/adjust)
Every few years (or more) it might need new reed valves if they get worn out... but they take all of about a half an hour to replace.

Ive owned MANY different bikes/quads and my current 97 Banshee has been 100% reliable over the past 3 years ive had it.
I have not even changed a SPARK PLUG on the thing. (yes.. still running the same 2 plugs as when I bought it)
It still starts on the first kick, still screams like a brand new bike, (or better) is no-where near needing a rebuild.

I owned an 86 250R as well a while ago, never touched it. Bought it, rode it for a while, sold it... never even changed the plug in the thing.
Ive had my 93 KX500 for 5 years and have ridden the **** out of it, and it still has the same compression as when I got it. No where near needing a top end job. (check my pic gallery to see my Banshee and KX500 if you want)

Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

So if you have to replace the reed valves every once in a while- where are they, near the carb or inside the engine- well if it only takes 30 minutes- thats great

and how do would know if you need to get a rebuild? do you start losing power? does it have weird symptoms, like excessive smoke or extreme heat? (and what does it mean to get a new top end or new bottom end? something to do with new gaskets?

i have NO experience whatsoever with 2 strokes, before i got my quad, i wanted a polaris TB 250 2stroke, but the dealer said i would need to rebuild it every 2 years, (and they didnt have it instock)

Do the 250r's rev as quick as chainsaws? cuz its just CRAZY how fast they rev...... i doubt any 4 stroke would rev that fast in neutral as a chainsaw- and 2 strokes sound awesome,and those shiny FMF fatty pipes look pretty sick! (in a good way- its an expression)

Old 04-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Click THIS link to hear an FMF equipt banshee on a trail.
Yes, they rev fast!

Cant find any video like this for a Fourtrax.
2 Strokes rev up fast.. trust me.

Reed valves are easy to replace.. just pull the carb and they are in the intake boot.
If your interested in the 250R, you dont want a polaris. (the pred is a decent machine though)

The TB250 and the 250R are as different as you can possibly get... they are nothing alike. The 250R is light and fast. The TB.. well... it isnt light, and it isnt very fast. Its like comparing a Honda civic to a Honda S2000.

Ohh.. and im only 26.. I know its sick! haha

Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

TB's arent THAT slow, when heavily modded- then they can beat a stock 400ex for a short while........ but you're right

maybe i should get a 250r- i asked my parents if i could get one a while ago, and they thought it was fine EXCEPT that it was 20 years old [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] they said the transmission would probably we extremely worn out.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Wrong... get a well maintained (or even an abused) Honda 250R and the tranny will probably be fine.

How often to hear about an old 250R tranny that is having problems. They hardly ever break.

If you found a well maintained R, the tranny is the last thing you need to worry about.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

dude, my 250R is 21 yrs old; it has only been rebuilt ONCE- 5 yrs ago and it is no where near needing another. It totally rips, rev and runs great! i am the 3rd owner as well... i had it shipped cross country when it was kinda hard to find good 250rs, and before the 450s came out.

i have both a 250 and a 450R. i can tell you that i do more maintenance to the 450R then i do to the OLD 250R. That 250R is solid. was rated (when magazines actually gave a dam) as the #1 USED ATV to buy. the engine was called "bulletproof." yes it beat out all the 4 strokes of the day...and in many ways it still does today. IMO, nothing handles like a 250R (the closest thing NEW is a YFZ450); and has been literally copied for a couple decades.

the only prob with the 250r is that if you want NEW OEM stuff for the 86/87 models, better grab it now b/c its getting harder to find.

as far as the GM comment yeah i agree and disagree at the same time except im not favorable to toyota at all. i had a chevy and now i have a toyota. to bottom-line it for you i think im getting another CHEVROLET. I just dont find the quality of toyota to be ANY level higher than my z71 i had. plus it just has too many little stupid quirks of how it acts; i dont think its 'real' problems but it nonetheless annoys me. I do think before i bought another toyota, id get a honda (if they only made a better looking truck than the ridgeline). i had an acura and it was a great car; and as you know honda is their parent company.

toyota is overhyped and overpriced. and are fooling the masses very quickly. they are likely to implode; they are not the same co they were 5-10yrs ago and theres no way their quality control will be able to keep up...

BTW: do a google search on some of their executives being under investigation for NOT disclosing recall info on MAJOR stuff. Toyota had well over 2 million recalls last year - more than GM or Ford... i dont think GM and Ford sucks as bad as people think. If you look at the people that make the parts for them you will find that they do used some of the same suppliers behind the scenes.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I wont get into an endless debate about carmakers... but the recals at Toyota in the last few years are a result of such rapid growth and expansion. 3 major recals, 1: something with the steering shaft on Prius's, 2: a suspension issue with some trucks and suv's, 3: a brake fluid issue.

BUT, Toyota ownes up to its problems and fixes them, unlike GM which would literally go bankrupt if they owned up to so many known problems, and Ford that wont own up to some 5.4 litre V8's spitting spark plugs due to a design flaw in the heads. (not enough spark plug hole threads)

Toyota BY FAR, bar none produces the highest quality vehicles available. (including and especially Lexus, and now Scion)
Honda makes great cars that last forever, but they DO have some real issues. (A/C longevity issues, quality control on later civics is really slipping, 3.0 V6 trannys of the 2001 era are not too reliable and had MANY failures)
Toyota will own the half ton market now with its new 381HP/401 ft lbs 5.7 litre Tundra... and most likely within 4-5 years will have huge diesel dually.

As far as Toyotas of yesterday, Ive owned them. Ive had a 1991 4X4 V6 truck that I sold with 226K miles, a 90' V6 4X4 for a while, 97 4Runner, 92 MR2, and my current Toyota is a 2007 FJC. (check my pic gallery)
The 07 FJ is built like a tank. EVERY Toyota Ive owned has been GREAT, and this FJ's 4.0 V6 and 6 speed manual tranny with lockers is the best.

ALL THAT being said, we also have a 1999 Ford Expedition 4X4 5.4 litre. Its awesome. I dont mind Ford at all.. Ford trucks are TOUGH.
(previously had a 97 F150 4X4, and 97 Ranger)

BACK ON TOPIC... Crazy1291, to answer a previous question of yours;

When a 2 stroke needs a top end rebuild, (which is a new piston kit, and bored/honed cylinder... very easy to do yourself except the honing part)
the compression will get weak. You will notice less compression as you kick start it. It will be harder for the bike to fire up, and it will start to lose HP.
You can usually tell if the bike is tired. It wont run hot at all, btw. And all 2 strokes smoke depending on your fuel/oil ratio.
Even when a 2 stroke is due for a top end, you can still ride the snot out of it.. haha

Quick Reply: how much do it cost to own and keep/maintain a trx250r running good?