Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Redline Oil for the 450R

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redline oil for the 450R

For those interested in esoteric lubricants, Redline has a new line of motorcycle oils.

The engine oils are certified JASO MB, so they can only be used in the engine side of a Honda 450R quad or the Honda 450/250/150 dirt bikes. http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...?categoryID=11

In the transmission side, you can run their ShockProof Motorcycle Gear Oil. http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...bCategoryID=16

Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Red Rider
Default Redline Oil for the 450R

Redline is well respected in the auto racing community....I have run nothing else in my trucks for many many years. They however have never made motorcycle specific lubricants, so that is what's new....

Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: reconranger
Redline is well respected in the auto racing community....I have run nothing else in my trucks for many many years. They however have never made motorcycle specific lubricants, so that is what's new....
Not saying it isn't a good oil for other products, but I used to use Redline Racing Oil in my racing kart I used to compete with years ago, and my engine builer didn't like that at all and gave me a smack on the wrist.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Supposedly, that wasn't a good oil for high reving machines.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Red Rider

What is interesting is that the engine oil is JASO MB. The rule is MA for wet clutch trannies, but not MB. So, it appears that they may be limiting their market segment here to the Hondas that have the engine and trannie oils seperated. Maybe there is an MA oil in the works????

Lots of folks get fooled by the word "RACING" and think they are getting a better oil. It is better for some purposes (but absolutely never in a passenger car!). Redline's "Racing" oil is strainght weight (not multi viscosity) and it contains no detergents. This is done to avoid viscosity index improvers (VII's) that tend to break down under extreme heat, and detergents themselves have no lubricating ability so they only decrease the oils own lubricating ability. This is most likely why your cart mechanic had objections!

A "racing" engine gets warmed up carefully, gets driven hard sure, but maybe even gets a rebuild and certainly gets an oil change before the next weekend....so these are compromises that "racing" oil makes that are no big deal for specialized applications.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that thing I had to change the oil twice a race day because it broke the light weight oil down that we used so fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Go out with fresh oil and practice, race a heat race, then come in and change the oil. Race another heat race, then race the main, go home and change it again for the next race.