Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

clipped spring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 09:56 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default clipped spring?

when reading these forums i read of clipped springs . what is this and what would it do to my rancher?

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default clipped spring?

Take off the top of your carb. It has some small screws holding it on. Inside you will find a long spring. Cut off about 11 coils and put the long part back in. This will improve the throttle response. It made my Rancher AT pull wheelies.

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default clipped spring?

all that "long spring" is, is the throttle return spring. it pulls the slide back down into the idle position when you let off the throttle. it does nothing for performance.....at all. if you want your throttle stuck wide open. by all means cut it.

Old 05-02-2007 | 12:37 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default clipped spring?

i see, it is the spring that gives the throttle tension. only thing i see it doing is a possible hang up and making the throttle easier to push , doesnt seem to me like it would be a real performance enhancer.

Old 05-02-2007 | 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default clipped spring?

Holtzer you are completly wrong. It is not just a return spring. If you knew how the Keihin CV carb worked on the rancher and the rincon you would know that it works off of a vacuum. By cutting the spring it puts less resistance on the diaphram inside the carb. With this it takes less vacuum to pull the slide up inside the carb which in return gives you much quicker throttle response. It does nothing in hp but it does make throttle response alot better. DJ makes a kit that does the serves the same purpose. They give you a shorter weaker spring with an adjustable neeldle and jets. Most of dont want to spend the $75 on something that we can do in our driveway for free. If the mod did not work than it would not be the most popular FREE mod to do on these quads. It has NOTHING to do with making the throttle easier to press or getting stuck wide open.

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default clipped spring?

Originally posted by: holtzer1
all that "long spring" is, is the throttle return spring. it pulls the slide back down into the idle position when you let off the throttle. it does nothing for performance.....at all. if you want your throttle stuck wide open. by all means cut it.
If you are going to dispute what someone else says on a forum about something they own and you do not , it helps if you know what you are talking about. Otherwise you kinda look like an idiot.

Old 05-03-2007 | 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default clipped spring?

Ain't that the truth.

Old 05-03-2007 | 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default clipped spring?

Would that trick work on the 300ex? I can't imagine it needing it though.....

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default clipped spring?

ForemanDan, I clipped 11 coils off the spring on my 05 AT, and was very disappointed. Any touch of the throttle more than a very gradual increase would stall the engine. I put another stock spring back in. Any thoughts on that? BTW, I'm at 4500'.

I think the best answer is to put a non-cv carb in it, but I've never gotten any interest when I've posted that idea before......

Old 05-04-2007 | 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default clipped spring?

Dirtbiker5, Did you put the longer of the 2 pieces back in the carb? It really sounds like you put the shorter piece in. Do you still have the 2 pieces? If so compare them and try it again. I've done this to several quads and the result was always the same. It made an improvement. I'm assuming that when you replaced the clipped spring with a new one it corrected the problem? If so then it rules out a pinched diaphram.

Quick Reply: clipped spring?