Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda buyers beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Honda buyers beware

Welcome to the sport and to the forums, but that is the dealers fault for not doing this and the quad might have been sitting there for a while...I would also check to make sure it has oil and all of the other stuff because you never know...Is the quad turnign over at all and are you making sure you have the killswitch on, is there a plug in it, gas in it and on, and does the battery even have acid in it because if not it won't charge...If you just have a dead battery then I would try pop starting the quad and that should get her running, but make sure you have tranny fluid and reg oil because if your dealer isn't very good then you might not have any of the above...Let me know if you need help, but blame it on the dealer and don't be so trusting with the stealer next time.

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

You keep saying "Honda". Honda did not give you a bad battery. Honda is not the ones to fix the problem. The dealer you went to is the problem. Who knows how long that battery has been sitting in that quad in the back of the dealer's warehouse. The dealer is selling Hondas. He is not Honda.
You are responsible for checking anything you buy. There is no way that I would have left the dealer last year when I bought 2 quads without checking them out.
And what was this 3 day wait for? Apparantly they did not do anything. I did not have to wait 3 hours for 2 quads.
And don't start a topic with "Honda buyer's beware" on something like this. Change it to " (dealer name) buyer beware".
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RustyBucket
Wow i didnt know this was i sight for grammer. Like a siad yes i am new to the sport and told the dealer that, i do know now never trust a dealer to check everything on the checklist he gives you. I am sure for pro's like yourselfs youy check everything everytime i am just learning. I just though when they give you a checklist saying they just took it for a test drive they must have had to START IT. Guess not I know it seems like a little thing to you that have all the money to spend on new toys but for me it was everything i had.
He mentioned the paragraphs because it is a lot easier to read blocks of text versus one huge chunk. I'm quite positive no insult was intended.

That really sucks about the battery, and I agree that this is definitely a DEALER issue. The Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce are great places to start. I agree that you should not let this issue rest, keep harassing them and ask for the general manager, or possibly even the owner. Sooner or later you are likely to find someone that cares more about the customer than the $30 battery they could have given you.

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:41 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I didn't read all the responses so someone may have mentioned this already, but dude DON'T YOU KNOW YOU CAN PUSH START IT EVEN WITH A DEAD BATTERY???? Didn't any of your buddies know this??? At least you could have gone riding.......would have charged up the battery too. Anyway, it's all on warranty!

I do know Chaparral well. They have everything except customer service! I picked up 5 new quads there for a buddy last weekend. They always drive the quads out when you pick them up, so it had to be running then.

The 450 is probably a bad choice for you anyway! It needs relatively frequent oil changes, and is best in the hands of a mechanically pretty savy owner. A guy like you needs a 400EX!

Old 05-03-2007 | 08:54 AM
Range Rover

I don't really care if Honda is or isn't responsible for the battery. Any dealer that would sell a new quad, then trat you like dirt when it won't start needs to be ruffed up. No, it's not Honda's fault, but the dealer should have been good enough to take care of a small thing like that. I would have made that dealer squirm like a ***** in church. There are ways to drag them through the mud.

I would have pull started it to ride the first day, then bought a new battery at Walmart for $20.00.

Old 05-03-2007 | 09:12 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: Chumley
Originally posted by: RustyBucket
Wow i didnt know this was i sight for grammer. Like a siad yes i am new to the sport and told the dealer that, i do know now never trust a dealer to check everything on the checklist he gives you. I am sure for pro's like yourselfs youy check everything everytime i am just learning. I just though when they give you a checklist saying they just took it for a test drive they must have had to START IT. Guess not I know it seems like a little thing to you that have all the money to spend on new toys but for me it was everything i had.
He mentioned the paragraphs because it is a lot easier to read blocks of text versus one huge chunk. I'm quite positive no insult was intended..
Thank You.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Recon, that is why I wanted to know if he rode that first trip he had it. I figured someone in his group would push start it?

Old 05-03-2007 | 02:15 PM
Red Rider

Just for the record, the quads come from the factory with a DRY battery. They put the acid in during prep, just before the customer picks the quad up. So this thing wouldn't have been sitting around and draining for weeks before you bought the machine. Honda should warranty the battery, as it is just like any other component that they put on a machine. I am sure Honda itself didn't make most of the components on there, yet they warranty them.....

I live 5 minutes from Chaparral, and I wouldn't ever buy anything there unless I had to! I did buy my new Rancher 420 there, but only because nobody else in the area had what I wanted. I would rather pay a little more money elsewhere, and get better customer service!

Old 05-03-2007 | 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Did you not catch this is a year old quad? She said its new, but it had been sitting for a year somewhere. Could have been ridden way before she bought it but never sold. If they done the prep work then, they probably never checked it out when he bought it.

Old 05-03-2007 | 04:05 PM
Red Rider

First mistake- YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE KICK STARTER! Second mistake- You bought from a dealer that isn't near your home.

Can you even push start it??? (Do you even know how to push start it???) If it will push start, that proves it is the battery not the electrical system.

If it is truely under warranty by the battery manufacturer (USAU???), then Chaparral should honor the warranty through them just like any other product they sell.

Old 05-03-2007 | 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

When I bought my z400 the battery was dead. This is a common thing from sitting in a box, then on a showroom floor for months..

My dealer offered to charge it for me, but they were closing and I didn't want to wait another two days until Monday to pick it up. So I told them to give me a new one off the shelf. At first they balked, but then quickly caved since I stressed I planned on riding that Sunday. I had my Wife with me and she would have biotched their ears off had they not complied with my new battery demands, especially after plucking down over $5000 for a brand new machine.

Quick Reply: Honda buyers beware