Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'86 Fortrax TRX350 Runs Great BUT Very hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 Fortrax TRX350 Runs Great BUT Very hard to start

I just bought a 1986 Honda Fortrax TRX350 that needs a bit of maintenance. I have been changing fluids and lubricating everything. The engine runs great. Plenty of power and sounds good.

However, it is very hard to start. The starter will turn over the engine, but then get stuck. It will release, turn over again to just stop again. I believe the engine compression is too much resistance for the starter. The starter turns fine when removed. It also continuously turns over the engine when the spark plug is removed (no compression.)

I have been reviewing the my service manual regarding the decompression cable that was disconnected when I got it. Is this for just the kick starter or the electric starter as well? Rotation the decompression lever does not seem to have any effect.

Does anyone know what I should look at next? Should I tear apart the starter or look into the decompression lever?

The battery appears to be decent. I have connected an auxiliary battery and the problem remains.

Any help is appreciated.

John

Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

The cable for the demp is just for the kick starter. Sounds to me like a weak battery, but you may have a weak start too. It most likely has the old 4 brush start, aka bolts on outsie holding it together. Replace it with a new start assy.

Those old 350 are a tough bugger, no ride quilty but could tow a house with out knowing it's behind you

Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 88 300 does the same thing. I assume it's a weak battery because when I throw the battery charger on it, the symptom goes away for a little while.

Kevin

Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound's like the starter is dragging , i wound put a new decompression cable on it and a new battery ; rebuild the starter if it can be rebuilt if not put a new one on it then do a complete service change oil and oil filter , clean and reoil the air filter ! The valve clearance should be adjusted also , because when the valve spec.s are off this will make for hard starting ! The first ATV i ever owned was a 86' Honda TRX 350 foreman fourtrax 4x4 , it had less than 20 hours on it when i got it from the original owner ; and the starter was dragging when i got from the original owner ! I know the decompression cable work's with the kick starter , but i think it also work's with the electric starter also ; these old one's were built like a tank ! I sold my 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman 4x4 in Nov. 2005 to my brother for $2500.00 ,the same price i payed for it when i bought it ; but i had to put a new gas tank on it , rebuilt the carb and put new barkes front and rear ; and i put new tires on it ,about a year after i got it ! The point is that my brother is still riding it every day that he can , and it fires right up and runs and drive's as good as it did when i first got it ! So it's well worth the money to fix it up ! williebee