Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

which would give more power

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which would give more power

Which one of these setups would give more power? An HMF sport series full exhaust system or HMF sport series slip on with a FMF powerbomb header?

Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just what do you mean by "power". To me, power means "torque" (particularly on the bottom end), as opposed to top end "speed". Lots of folks looking for speed, call that power, so there is nothing but confusion.........

Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Well crummie, I would think that in a full exhaust the header is specifically engineered for the muffler so, it may be a better fit. However the Powerbomb is cheap for an after market header. I am having problems with my older one cracking at the welds. I noticed my bro's (who just bought his) has bigger, wider welds so hopefully they fixed the problem.

Truthfully there probably won't be enough difference either way you go, to notice.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Just what do you mean by "power". To me, power means "torque" (particularly on the bottom end), as opposed to top end "speed". Lots of folks looking for speed, call that power, so there is nothing but confusion.........</end quote></div>

Power is torque, Torque is what moves you either at the bottom end or top end - commonly called acceleration or pull. Horsepower only maintains torque (the more horsepower you have the easier it is to maintain what the torque has done, the more torque you have then the more pull you have and can accelerate quicker). If you are going 50, HP will keep you going at 50, if you want to take it up to 60 then torque will get you there and HP will keep you there.
Torque does all the work and the Horsepower gets all the credit....lol...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Well put buckaroo50. We are getting a little off topic but I've always used the analogy of a baseball batter. You see players that swing and bring the bat around lightning fast. (torque) When they make contact they may get a solid double. Then other players may have a much slower swing and hit home runs left and right. This is because of the power (horsepower) behind the swing.
In summary as reconranger said. Speed != Power.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

I often use the analogy of a 'Deisel truck' gobs of torque low horsepower, and a high performance car, lower torque, higher horsepower. Torque moves the weight and horsepower lets the torque do that job easier by keeping/maintaining (similar to momentum) what the torque has already done.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree fully with what everyone is saying but in response to your queestion do not mich and mach exhaust in mu opinion. I say if you get HMF then dont mix with fmf because hmf is a better company but that is just my opion.