Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Fourtrax wont do anything =\ help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Fourtrax wont do anything =\ help

Ok so heres the run down its a 1987 Honda Fourtrax 350 4x4. Recently it sat with no gas in it and fresh oil. Went to go run it and it stalled, so i sprayed carb cleaner in it. Ran fine then it stalled i got tired of doing this after a few times so i cleaned it out. The only way to get it started is to pour gas in the carb. But it will run after you screw with it for awhile. I turned the piolet screw in more and it wont do anything. The spark plug turns black and the very tip is a solid white like it burns hot. Any ideas?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you took the carb off and cleaned the insides out? If not there is a very small jet for idiling. On my 250 it is the size of one strand of automitive wire. It doesn't take much to plug it. If it sat for quite awhile the carb dries out and leaves residue in it. The float valve could also be stuck closed not letting enough gas in. Hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

check your fuel pump to see if it's pumping, you can actually hear it. i have the same bike been their done that. like the other guy said make sure you clean carb out good air should be about 2to2half turn out if you get it running keep cheking your plug making sure it gets to a brown to tan colour.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks for the topic. Well i do hear it clicking and when it stalls it makes a noise which is a good thing i think. Today i put injector cleaner into the gas tank and it seemed to run better but still stalls. My otehr question for you is when i get it to run and stalls the carb makes a liek che che che sound and dies like its hitting somthingafter a minute of runing?? I did also check the sparkplug it turned from brand new to black straight and thent he very tip is a white ashy color?

Thanks
Chris

Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your running way to rich. Try this out, turn the petcock to off and run the motor. When it starts leaning out the idle will become a little faster. When the idle picks up run it for a couple of minutes and then turn the petcock to the open position. If the float valve has something stuck in it this may wash it out. The only other thing to do is take the carb out and clean it. The only other thing I can think of is you have something stuck in the snorkel blocking off air or the choke is stuck on.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't be to worried about taking the carb apart, they are fairly simple as lomg as you don't bend the float tang. I'm sure the needle valve has probably varnished open and is stuck. Get a can of carb cleaner and go at it. The seat to the float valve is brass and they seem to corode enough to cause the needle to stick.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

Mine use to do the same thing. I had to remove the carb, take it all apart and clean all the jets(Main, pilot, and idle) with carb cleaner. Clean all the air ports and the float valves as well. Set the idle mixture screw by screwing it in until it barely bottoms out and turn it out about 1.25 to 1.50 turns out. Then put it back together and enjoy riding it!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, well the bad news is i got it to run and it back fired so bad it sounded like a gun shot and the carb went flying off. My question to you is do you know anyone that would have a carb and a fuel pump for a cheap price? or anyone that could help me fix this problem in person??

Thanks
cv[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2007, 05:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi. well things just seems to be going for the worst for you ain;t it... well before you go and buy a fuel pump check your fuses their in the back of the bike. where the tool box is. youll see a cover, their should be about 4 fuses they are all maked their is one their for your fuel pump. and as far as the back firing goes it mite sound stupid but, ive had other atvs to the same. so i went as far as to change plugs and did the timing on it. and it seem to have worked. but if this dont work for you, i would consider taking your carb to a shop and explaining to them your situation.your carb may need an overall. you can start buy doing that before you go any farther with it. i hope this help a little.... mean while ill go and borow my buds manuel and check things out in thier. because id like to fine out for myself whats going on, in case this would ever happen to me. ps/ make sure that your timming is right on. oh buy the way, make sure you dont have any blown head gaskets because theirs would be to much air and that can pause a big problem to. well let me know how your making out.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Look Below

Quick Reply: Honda Fourtrax wont do anything =\ help