Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

buying trx450r...advice quick please

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying trx450r...advice quick please

well after rebuilding the raptor again i am ready for something new....trx450r. i have found several 04's and 05's most are around 4500 in my area or if they are cheaper they are already sold. i have found one '04 that the guy says has less than 30 hrs on and never raced, it has the hrc kit, k&n filter and beadlocks...he wants $4200 for it. for $5100 he will include houser +2 arms and ohlins long travel suspension. i want all you honda guys opinions on it before i look at it later this week. also is there anything that i should be wary of when buying a used 450r? i am familiar with them but dont really know of any problems or warning signs to look for on a used one. thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

I don't have a lot of experience with the 450 but sounds like a decent price. As for the arms and suspension that i don't know. I do too much trail riding for that. Never looked into them.

As far as what to look for I would say the normal. Watch for any oil spots. Look for any silicone squeeze out to find replaced gasket's. This will let you know if they tore down any part of engine for one reason or another. Also, start it, let the thing run, and drive it for goodness sake's. I'm surprised at the number of people I see on here buy a wheeler before even riding it.
The 450R is a good proven wheeler and should serve you well. Good luck with everything.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

To me it sounds good except for the K&N airfilter and I wouldn't trust someones words on how long they rode the quad because you never really know...I would get the suspension along with it as it is a good setup and I would replace the rear shock if not included and the rear linkage if it is long travel suspension...The HRC kit is said to be awesome and give some good power and really wake the quad up...I would also be worried about how often he has checked the valves and such because they tighten up and would check them if you get the quad and also do an oil and tranny fluid change to her...It is an awesome and reliable quad and has won many baja races...You won't be dissapointed and hope you ride red...I would go for it if it rides fine and I would just do maintanance and check things out once you get her...wish ya luck

Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

The price does sound good! As far as checking the cam he shouldn't have a problem with removing the tank and popping the cover to show you that their are no score marks on it. Check the front ball joint for excessive play, Check your welded joints the frames have been known to have stress fractures. Ask him how often he changes oil and trans fluid, I am a little **** I change mine every weekend I go out neither one of them holds a full quart. Start it up if all that checks out and take it for a spin. typicaly they do not idle smooth so do not be alarmed over that but if you like it get it.