Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

THUMB THROTTLE VS TWIST

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 12:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUES. WHY DO THEY USE A THUMB THROTTLE HAS ANY BODY CONVERTED TO A TWIST I HAVE A 200 3OOEX WITH A FMF PRO COR 4 PIPE (GREAT PIPE)RE-JETTED AND K&N AIRFILTER EVERY TIME I JUMP MY HAND TENDS TO JAM BECAUSE ITS OPEN HITTING THE THROTTLE NEVER HAPPENS WHEN I AM ON MY CR 125 WHY THE THUMB THROTTLE

Old 12-28-2000, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thumb throtles were first incorporated in the Honda ATC90's and the reaspon this was is because Mr. Honda felt that it was eaiser to maintain more percise throtle control over rough terrain then when using the more conventional twist throtle. Personaly I could care less both types of throtles have their advantages and disadvantages. I guess the thumb throtle just stuck since then. Dave

Old 12-28-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

its all personal pref.

On a quad i guess i'll always have a thumb throttle. On a Bike a Twist.

I've seen guys with thumb throttles on bikes before.

I think on a quad its too hard to turn in maintain throttle control but thats just me.

Old 12-28-2000, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Yes it is all about preference. I have had two quads and the first thing I did before I even left the dealership was order a motion pro twist throttle. I can't stand the thumb. The twist works great.

Old 12-28-2000, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

I have a otion pro twist on my 300ex. I think it is alot easier when cornering, but once you get on the whoops forget about it.

Old 12-28-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

I use twist throttle on all my quads, just my preference.

Old 12-28-2000, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

whatever you do figure it out quick! i rode a kx250 before i got my 300 and about 3 months after having it i thought i would get a twist. BIG mistake first thing i did was take a big tabletop and when i landed i was used to the thumb throttle so i put all my weight on the bars and next thing i know i was laying flat on my back after my quad shot out from under me doing a wheelie! i tried it out for another week or so and was just too use to the thumb throttle so i went back to it.

Old 12-28-2000, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

CAN YOU PUT A DIRT BIKE CABLE AND HOUSING AND ALL THAT ON A QUAD? THE MOTION PRO THROTTLE SEEM TO SUCK (MY OPINION). THE BIKES ARE ALOT EASIER,FREE, THAN THE MOTION PROS, THEY SEEM TO TAKES LONGER TO LET OFF. I CANT REALLY EXPLAIN WHAT I AM SAYIN. SORRY FOR WAISTING YOUR TIME.

Old 12-29-2000, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

On a motorcycle, much of the turning is accomplished by leaning. On a quad, there is no leaning, therefore you have to turn the handlebars much more. This added movement makes it harder to maintain a steady throttle position with a twist. The thumb level requires less commitment by your hand and wrist through the turn. This effect is even more pronounced during a jump. But as pointed out, some people get them and are comfortable with them.

Old 12-29-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Here the reason for thumb throttles over twist for manafactures. Safety,I used to try out my dirt bikes it the winter and many times after sitting outside in the cold and snow all night the twist throttle will freeze up. the thottle would not close by itself,I had to twist it back with wrist power or it would stay open which is dangerous.Since the maker of ATVs know these machines will be out all season long and sold everywhere they put the snowmobile type throttle which will not freeze up.If I lived in a warm climate all year round I would like the twist throttle bike style set up much better than a thumb throttle.

Quick Reply: THUMB THROTTLE VS TWIST