Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rincon 680 engine noise. tick, rattle? lives in service shop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggettized
One thing everybody seems to be missing here is he said the noise is when it's in GEAR. That would have nothing to do with compression release or piston design.
I think the theory is putting it in gear may slow the engine's idle down enough to the point the decompression thing starts slapping around...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

2006 680 Rincon . 2400 miles. Bullet proof. Ride and have fun.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default rincon noise/rattle

Valves: That was a waste of time and money especially if it only happens only in gear. Note: never run synthetic oil or any additives due to the clutch being in the crankcase of the engine.
Find a mechanic that has a mechanical stethoscope for engines and mechanical parts. I have one. I not joking. It's a great way to listen the the engine and isolate the problem. Or stop a Snap-on truck or go on-line and buy one. I think they're about 50-75 $$
If it has a torque converter, that's where I'd be looking and listening. I'd have to see a exploded view of the engine to tell, I've looked on the inter-net but haven't found one yet. Broken veins or loose nuts would be a possibility.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Valves: That was a waste of time and money especially if it only happens only in gear. Note: never run synthetic oil or any additives due to the clutch being in the crankcase of the engine.
Find a mechanic that has a mechanical stethoscope for engines and mechanical parts. I have one. I not joking. It's a great way to listen the the engine and isolate the problem. Or stop a Snap-on truck or go on-line and buy one. I think they're about 50-75 $$ Or you can use a long screw driver putting the handle to your ear and the tip on various parts of the engine, works really well.
If it has a torque converter, that's where I'd be looking and listening. I'd have to see a exploded view of the engine to tell, I've looked on the inter-net but haven't found one yet. Broken veins or loose nuts would be a possibility.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 680 rincon noise/rattle

I found a exploded view on www.cheepcycleparts.com and it has two clutches and torque converter. A new converter is 456.89 if that's the problem. I bought the extended warrenty on mine and hope it was a waste of money as it was on the last two Hondas I bought. Anything can happen, though. Good luck. I hope this helps you.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Doesn't really idle down when you put it in gear due to the EFI. (Eletronic Fuel Injection)

Old 09-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

There was a type-o in my post it's www.cheapcycleparts.com not cheep!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

we have 2 unit(2008) making the sound you told,,when hot at idle little or medium nocking noise ,more easy to listen when put in gear,,once you touch throttle the noise stop,,here what i ve try on 1 unit,,maybe not in this order but just to mention,,before changing anything we take long time listening with stetoscope,,after every change engine was run to same temp to check for any change

1-adjust valve but they were spot on

2-since rincon had some issue with timing chain tensionner and cam(decompressor) we change both

3-front cover open to check for anything wrong,,decompressor were removed from the cam
to eliminated possibility

4-disable top end ,,everything was in spec but change piston,cyl,piston pin and circlip and new part was check for clearance and proper fit,,,head was totally disable ,,guide ,stem,rocker etc every part mesured and inspected

5-front cover removed,,torque converter remove to isolate noise to engine only,,oil hole bypassed to properly oil crankpin etc,,,,,,once hot the noise was still there

6-crankshaft and bearing were change,,,noise still there

the noise is from rotating part of engine,,the next step is to change bearing and balancer shaft and mesure clearance,,maybe i ve passed on something or didn t see something but happy to see that i dont have the 2 only noise making rincon like honda technical assistance guys toll me

Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

you honda guys ain't the only ones with ticks and knocks. My polaris magnum knocks as well. Took it the service dept. and had them take a listen. They said it's piston slap, don't worry about it just ride the **** out it. They also said you'll find that in every make somwhere down the line. My Polaris is 6 years old and still running strong, ticks, knocks and all.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

the top end (cyl,piston and head)that we remove was put on another unit and make no noise,,so you can forget piston slapping,,,

Quick Reply: rincon 680 engine noise. tick, rattle? lives in service shop.