Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Pls Help, Carb Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 05:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took the carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly. It was very dirty. Several hours later, I put it back together and was convinced my ATV would finally start. When I made all connections, fuel started pouring out the dump tube (the dump screw was cleaned and fully tightened down) so it sounds like the float did not shut off fuel flow when the bowl was full. Fuel must have risen to the point of overflow and it came out of the dump tube. Right???

Then, I turned the fuel valve off to stop the overflow and it did. However, when i turned the fuel back on to see what happens, nothing came out of the dump tube. I thought this was good as maybe the float just hung up the first time. I tried to start it and nothing. I looked in the carb and pressed the throttle, etc. and noticed there was no fuel being sprayed. I then through the dump tube exit hole and noticed my air passed right thru the carb. I left the fuel line open this whole time and still could not see evidence of fuel being sprayed in the carb nor did i have the trouble with fuel overflowing anymore (and of course, it would not start).

Do you have any ideas? I need some help.

thanks

Old 12-30-2000, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tealboy, you're working with a gravity-fed fuel system; I doubt you'll see fuel "sprayed" anywhere.

I recommend a service manual for your carburetor adjustment, with careful attention to the "choke" or starting enrichment plunger system.

If the carb is cleaned and adjusted properly, try a little starting fluid if you can't kick it off.

With compression, spark, and gas, it oughta go! Good luck.

Tree Farmer

P.S. Aren't you working on a Kawasaki? Just wondered about the post in the Honda forum.

T.F.

Old 12-30-2000, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, yeah; if you ARE working on a Kawasaki, there's an article on maintaining Bayou 300 Keihin carburetors in the "Tech Tips" section accessible from the ATV Connection home page.

Tree Farmer

Old 12-31-2000, 08:44 AM
Range Rover

I did use the tech tips listed in this site. However, after thoroughly cleaning it, I am now in a trouble shooting mode and the article won't help. It sounds like I have float problems and maybe more. Since I still don't have a compression gauge, I can't fully eliminate a compression problem. However, one thing for sure, I have carb problems still.

If anyone has any suggestions to my original post, I would appreciate it.

Old 12-31-2000, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

You don't need a compression gauge to determine whether your engine has enough compression to run. Just pull through on the starter cord; the resistance will tell you whether you have enough compression to start the engine. How much resistance? Compare with a quad of comparable size you know runs.

Diogenes