Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Aftermarket exhaust or This ? 400Ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust or This ? 400Ex

Just wondering on a 07' 400ex , what would have the most benefit ? This auction below or an aftermarket slip on ?
I will be getting a k&N filter and some exhaust improvement for better flow. Along with rejetting . But, I don't want to spend my hard earned $ on "bling" , I actually want the $ to give me seat of the pants improvements.

What do you guys think ?
Aftermarket exhaust or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...rdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thanks,
D.

BTW: Is there a dedicated website for 400EX atv's ?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Dont bother with either. The 400ex exhaust was a very good factory system. The best aftermarket versions give you only 4-6 hp. Most of that is removing your airbox lid and rejetting. Just pull out your spark arrestor. Take a pipe that fits into the exhaust and make a bigger hole in the baffle inside.Put your spark arrestor back in. Pull off your airbox lid and rejet. total cost = $2 for a jet maybe another 2 for a pilot. Save your money for a port job, a web cam, 11:1 JE piston. Should cost you less than 650 bucks and do a lot more than a pipe will

Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

I don't understand the fitment of the pipe. Do you have any pics or better explaination ?
Thanks,
D.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Range Rover

I bought one of those from that guy on ebay and it DID allow me to re-jet, which means it does flow more than the stock spark arrestor. Keep in mind that you can be fined for tampering with the stock spark arrestor, ir any of the exhaust for that matter. You should keep your stock one in tact in case you ever need to put it back on in the future if you get hassled. I sold the bike that I bought the phoenix spark arrestor for, and kept the arrestor. My new bike came with a pro-circuit exhaust, so if you're interested in that spark arrestor on ebay, I'll sell you mine for whatever he's selling his for but I'll ship it for free. Email me.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

You are not tampering with the spark arrestor. Only the baffle inside the canister. The piece of pipe is only used to make a bigger hole in the baffle, use a big long screwdriver if you like, but a pipe just small enough to fit in the end of the canister where you pulled the spark arrestor out , will make a cleaner easier to make hole in the baffle. Hope you understand. Put the spark arrestor back in when completed.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TwinCam95

I bought one of those from that guy on ebay and it DID allow me to re-jet, which means it does flow more than the stock spark arrestor. Keep in mind that you can be fined for tampering with the stock spark arrestor, ir any of the exhaust for that matter. You should keep your stock one in tact in case you ever need to put it back on in the future if you get hassled. I sold the bike that I bought the phoenix spark arrestor for, and kept the arrestor. My new bike came with a pro-circuit exhaust, so if you're interested in that spark arrestor on ebay, I'll sell you mine for whatever he's selling his for but I'll ship it for free. Email me.</end quote></div>

Did the kit call for removal of the airbox lid? That would be the reason for rejetting. You have to open up the first hole to allow more aif through the second hole.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldn't suggest getting a K&N filter because it will allow fine sand and dirt through, personaaly I would go with twin air or uni.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with that. I'm not a big K&N fan myself

Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

I was wondering... and this may seem a bit obtuse... but why is it that i can get a full true duel exhuast on my truck for around $300 but a performance muffler for my quad costs in excess of $200... this baffles me (no pun intended)

Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh economics my friend. How many trucks are on the road compared to atv's that are in the woods.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust or This ? 400Ex