Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda atc185s only runs good half choke

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda atc185s only runs good half choke

After the bowl is off the carb it will be the brass jet in the center. Unscrew it and look through it. Then squirt some carb cleaner through the carb where the main jet came out of. Be sure you can see where the cleaner comes out. If you can't see the cleaner come out..........you still have a clog.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

theres 2 brass jets... do you mean the small one?

Old 07-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I don't have the carb in fromt of me so I can't say. I would just pull both and clean one at a time. Let me give you this link:
http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm
Exploded

Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the link. Thats good information. Ill monkey with it some more. Do you think maybe a bigger jet would be in order?

Old 07-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If it ran good before with that jet in it, don't mess with it. You have a restriction somewhere. (clog) You can also punch a small copper wire through the passages to unclog them.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

ok did what you said.. blew out a small half of a o ring. but still same problem. all passages seemed to be open. it doesnt seem to run lean or rich in any throttle position on half choke. can i just leave it that way. what harm can i really do? only thing it does is pop in the exhaust on deaccel when driving it. and when reving it to high rpm. im clueless. the needle highdth doesnt seem to effect it at all. any other ideas?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

Ok... let me see if i can explain this a little better now. it doesnt just die on full throttle... its if you push it all the way to full throttle fast. if you slowly raise the throttle it runs up fine slowly. but as soon as you push the throttle fast it kills out.. like its not getting enough fuel.. but like i said slowly pushing it up to full throttle does fine. i dont know if that makes any difference in your advice. thanks again

Old 07-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

You're definitely running lean. Have you made sure there's no air leaks between the carb and head? Do you have the stock air filter and whatever box it's supposed to be in?

Maybe your float level is too low. Do you have specs to set it? You can always try raising it a bit and see if it helps.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i think its stock.. i tryed it without the box same effect. i just took it all apart again and looked at everything real real close. all looks good. i think im fed up with it and just going to run it half choke.. can anyone give me a reason that would hurt the machine?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

Like he stated above, you may be rich at times and wash your cylinder out. I would just put another carb on it and give the old one a fling. One small part out of place or a crack you can't even see will haunt you forever.

Quick Reply: honda atc185s only runs good half choke