Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda quality is High?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda quality is High?

Anyway....auto trannies are for beginners and little girls who can't manage to figure out how to shift a manual........

LOL, If you want to come out west here where we ride, I can show you multiple examples where an automatic is superior to a manual shift. Autos maintain a more constant and equal torque in places where you need it. Autos also keep you in your power band more effectively, no matter what engine you have. My brother learned the hard way when he could not follow my Rubicon with his manual shift. He was embarrased.
As far as I am concerned, the autos are superior in rough terrain. Manuals trannys are for little sissy boys trying to impress someone by shifting gears like the Big Rig Truck drivers. Similar to the stupid annoying pizza faced kids that yank the muffler off their gutless 60 hp Nissan Sentra to make more noise and impress everyone.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

You got me, I must be one of those "beginners and little girls who can't manage to figure out how to shift a manual" No, those of us who grew up on Honda 3-wheelers know ALL about manual shifting. We had this same arguement then but it was the "clutch" vs the "clutchless" shifters. Living in MN, you get a little different perspective. Shifting with big boots on sucks!! Take a load of gear, 2 kids out to the deer stand in November. Plow a 12" snowfall with a rancher & then do the next one with a rubicon. You will know what I am talking about. Plus when you are in the mudd up the your seat, try shifting! When you are stuck, then try putting your atv into reverse. The shifter is buried. With an auto, you can just kneel on your seat & give it the business. When stuck, just move the lever back.

Manuals are good machines, just not for me.

I am glad you are proud of your machines!!!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out West???? I live a few minutes from the Pacific Ocean....can't get much further "West" than that.......

Mostly I ride my utes at high altitude in the Sierras and Inyos. (That's a couple of ranges over from Death Valley.) Mostly bolder strewn old gold rush mining roads. Absolutely never ever felt like I needed an automatic for any reason, real or imagined......needless added complexity and much higher price....for something I neither need nor want.....makes no sense at all.....

Old 08-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RedRubi

My brother learned the hard way when he could not follow my Rubicon with his manual shift. He was embarrased. .</end quote></div>

If it's true he couldn't follow, I highly doubt it's because he was riding a manual shift.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Anyone who does much mountain riding in snowy muddy steep terrain knows if you're going to lose traction, it'll be when you go to shift down with a manual. You have to lug the manual down and try to stay in a higher gear because the second you shift you're stuck. Surely you knew that though.....right? Oh, and he couldn't follow because he was on a manual. He did fine until he had to shift.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

no you dont have to lug it down to shift goinng up hill , you just must be quick!!! i wouldn't say they are for girls though, just sissies!!! just kiddin ya all!!! i just dont like them.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Wait, so the manual couldnt follow the Rubicon because it had to shift?
Does the Rubicon have a CVT tranny? because that is the only tranny that doesnt really shift in jolts

Even the automatic honda trannies shift gears, they just do it automatically instead of using a button. Whats the point of having an automatic 3 speed tranny when you could switch gears with your fingers? Are you afraid to get finger-pump??? (is there even such a thing? armpump in the left thumb because of the ES?)

Honda's are fine, but what i dont understand is why they would stay with straightaxle, drum brakes, and air cooled SOHC??? (i know that someone explained it, but WHY are they such jerks, they are lazy) Also, Why didnt they use a 250r frame for the 450r, but just with a +2 axle and +4 a-arms to get 46" wide (i believe the 250r was 44" at back and 42" at front)

The thing i hate most is the reverse on honda's, i think they changed it for 07, but i hate how you have to use 2 hands for it (maybe honda is obsessed with preventing DUI, they force you to use both hands to drive (right- throttle, lef- ES) and reverse using 2 hands (this way you have to put down your beer to go in reverse or to shift and push the throttle.)

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

That's where you're wrong. The Ruby tranny doesn't shift in Jolts. Just a smooth transition of the swish plate that you can 't even feel shifting. In fact, any auto tranny shifts smoother than a bean grinder clash box. I had my fill of manual cave man transmissions on bikes and trucks. The worst made auto beats a clunky grind box any day.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: polaris5610

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Blazer19

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: polaris5610

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: olyguy12

I want to say thanks for the answers, except for that Polaris rider. A bit insecure I'd say. I like most consumers are guided by advertizing and was looking for a good used ride. The Hondas held too much value priced themselves out of contention. I bought an old 97 Kodiak. after riding if for a while the constant shifting was wearing me out so I wanted an automatic or belt drive. I must have to much time on my hands as I started looking at web sites like this one and others. I started looking for a Rincon or Rubicon. After the pricing shock I checked around for other brands and ride quality is what drew me to the Yamaha. My local dealer had a 2005 Rincon for $5,000 with 11K miles and a 04 Grizzly 660 with 3K miles for $4,400. I had sent for the Grizzly DVD from Yamaha so they talked me into getting a 700. But the price was still too high so the 660 looked like it was moving to my house. The local dealer had a used 700 that they sold new 6 weeks eariler and the price was still higher than I wanted to pay. Still looking at a 06 left over Foreman ES but I knew if I didn't get what I wanted, I be buying again and spending money again. I'm a firm beliver everything breaks. I just wanted to know why every person and dealer talked about Honda quality. Even as they were draging a Rancher 350 off of a pickup with a broke rear swing arm. The dealer told me they weld a lot of swing arms.</end quote></div>

I'm sorry but I feel your insecure. What other excuse do you have for coming onto the Honda forum and talking about all there problems when you own another brand. Has the Yamaha not been treating you right?</end quote></div>

How old are you? 14? Dont confuss curiosity with bashing. Be more understanding and then you will see the world is not out to get you.</end quote></div>

How old are you? 9? It's confuse not confuss bud. Excuse me while I go check for monsters under the bed...</end quote></div>

what the HELL is wrong with you man? Just relax, have a beer.... and you'll be fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mountana

That's where you're wrong. The Ruby tranny doesn't shift in Jolts. Just a smooth transition of the swish plate that you can 't even feel shifting. In fact, any auto tranny shifts smoother than a bean grinder clash box. I had my fill of manual cave man transmissions on bikes and trucks. The worst made auto beats a clunky grind box any day.</end quote></div>

our 99 honda civic says otherwise

its automatic and shifts in jolts (when you go WOT, it revs real high (for a car) and all of a sudden it shifts and the rpms die and rise again, but slower this time)
The tranny is also spaced really messed up.... much to0 wide gearing, but it still only tops at about 103mph, and takes 1.25miles to get there

"Autos maintain a more constant and equal torque in places where you need it. Autos also keep you in your power band more effectively, no matter what engine you have."

How can that be true? Staying in its optimum rpm and powerband section?

If it has actual gears, not a CVT, it doesnt stay in its optimum rpm at all. Like a car it shifts and the rpms die, and rise againm

Quick Reply: Honda quality is High?