Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Keep 400ex or Get Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep 400ex or Get Raptor?

Amen to that. I've been working on alot of different brand name machines. I cannot say that any of them are unreliable, its just that I believe Honda reliabilty and design are unsurpassed. Not saying they are the fastest but probably the all around best machines you can buy. I also love KTM machines, we will see with thier recent release of thier 450 based machine, if it holds true to 4 wheels.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hopefully it didn't sound like I was taking anybody's side, making predictions or trying to correct someone. I just thought some of the comments were pretty funny and I couldn't help but make some kind of comment. I didn't think you were crowing about the Scrambler, I just thought you were letting the guy know they have strong motors. The only experience I have with the Scrambler is the time my sister-in-law let me borrow her 500 H.O. to ride trails in Arkansas and for that type of riding it was a better choice than mine. My brother did have a Polaris Sport 400 which I believe is the same motor as the 400 Scrambler.

As far as knowledge about the Raptor, I'm sure you know a lot more than I do. I only know what I have read and what some of my buddies have told me about them. I think anybody that deals with quads knew about the 01 tranny, I just thought when I seen 03 it was a type'O. The other things that he had listed was news to me but I have little knowledge about that quad. My buddies have never had problems with the rod bearings or steering stem bearing. Although, one of them did smack a tree pretty good and after he brushed himelf off he mentioned the quad should have turned quicker, but the rest of us believe that the reaction time was what needed to get quicker.

My thoughts on giving advise to someone is: If you don't know what your talking about don't try to give facts to someone. Shot straight, give your opinion, let them know it's just an opinion and let them choose what's best for them.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LTZGUY

there is no replacement for displacement? yea maybe in the 60's, boy aren't you behind the times. its called a big a$$ turbo. and its a street car with a/c, not a gutted death trap garbage that you gotta pull on a trailer. that will be the day when a poolaris outruns me. anyone can talk the talk.</end quote></div>

First I would like to point out. Your adding volumetric displacement with forced induction. So how is no replacement for displacement not true ? Especially when you have to add volumetric displacement to run with larger displacement engine. This is the basis of building horsepower increasing volumetric size. Sounds like you still have ALOT to learn.

Heres just one 400 Polaris that will put your head in that bucket http://www.scrtc.com/~mrsw/

Heres just some of the builders and the horsepower they put out http://www.hpd-inc.com/Spec5.htm ..... http://www.aaenperformance.com/Power400.asp

Old 08-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

Wasn't this thread about a ? between a rappy and an ex?

Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

First of all I speak from experience. I have ridden several raptors and I do not think they are a well built bike. I have also helped tow a couple back to camp. Again, from experience. Volumetric displacement? WTF? When displacement is brought up, it is referred to as the cubic inches of the engine. It would be properly called forced induction. Spinners on my bike? Nothing about my ride shouts ghetto so where would that ignorance come from? I have a well put together combination that is very suprising for a 400cc platform that I began with. Your going to down me because I have my mods well descibed in my profile, who's acting like a kid?....I just looked at those links with the poolaris 400 sportsman.....we had to tow one of those back from the river this sunday. Going through water the belt burned up on it and it used so much gas he ran out. We went 45 miles and my bike used 1.6 gal. of gas. His was empty. Yea a 2 smoke is fast, but you better bring a tow rope with you. why do you think they stopped making them? Because they were "just too fast"? No.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

why do you think they stopped making them? Because they were "just too fast"? No.</end quote></div>

Again, a statement based upon total ignorance... The manufacturers have stopped making 2 stroke quads in order to meet the more stringent EPA requirements, period. They have had a hard enough time just keeping quads on the market at all with legislators and enviro groups out to ban them at every turn.

And why the f**k would anyone but you care that you have "carbon fiber everything"???

Old 08-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure how much is in mine, probably not a lot. Lowered my gearing, had a DG pipe (put stock back on), K&N filter, ... I don't really have much ahaha

Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Woops, I meant to reply to somebody's posting earlier and quote it but clicked reply rather than "quote"

So yea, I'm keeping the 400ex. The Airbox lid is off and I'm getting better at wheelies everyday! I'm scared to hit jumps though... I guess cause I hurt my hand pretty badly, i dont' want it to happen again.

As for "there's no replacement for displacement", it's an absolute true statement! Yes, you can go and put a turbo on an engine that is 100cc smaller, but if you did the same mod to the bigger engine, the bigger engine would have better output. SORRY.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yea a 2 smoke is fast, but you better bring a tow rope with you. why do you think they stopped making them? Because they were "just too fast"? No.</end quote></div>

OK Now I know you are an idiot. I guarentee my 250 has 20x the miles if not more on my machine than yours. I put a new piston in every 2 yrs 110 dollars a rebuild, 1 plug per yr., and 1 bottem end rebuild in 21 YEARS. When your bike is 21 yrs. old come back and tell me that yours did that good.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yea. by the way. You may not have the right reason for 2 strokes being discontinued, but the 2 stroke was outlawed in MX because a 2 stroke is that damn fast. How could all the manufactures allow 21 yr old technology beat them at wat these 450's were built for. They couldn't thats why you cant run 2 strokes in racing. FACT