Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why are people who ride so paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny...But when I was younger and in the BMX stage of my life.... I use to put baseball cards or balloons in my spokes to get that loud sound out it. No matter how many spokes I loosened doing it. I never got a ticket.
Now with the quads.... On a race track...yes make it loud...who cares.
But my buddy had a 300ex with a cobra pipe...we would not even let him trail ride with us. Some of the trails we rode on were sketchy to say the least. Like cutting through a neighbors back yard to get to the main trails. It was annoying.
He went back to a more tamed down muffler and we caused alot less touble with the neighbors.
I know my banshee is not the quitest bike out there...especially when your pinned in 3rd or fourth gear. But it's not too annoying if you just cruising a trail. Now in a small area for 2 hrs strait...well I would get annoyed too.

Old 01-04-2001, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well, that choice is yours... If I knew of a currently manufactured pipe that was halfway quiet and gave real gains, I would have one on my bike (not saying one doesn't exist). Personally I would like to run the GT Thunder pipe, but I don't want the noise for my general riding & I don't want to be switching pipes all the time either.

I also don't think it would be too terribly difficult to design & build a pipe that both flows well & output's a respectable noise level. I belive design time & the profit margins on such a pipe probably wouldn't be what the aftermarket pipe builders are used to though (but that's a whole 'nother gripe of mine though).

The route I have taken so far is to modify the stock pipe. I am in my 1st phase of this so far. The 2nd phase I will probably try doing something with the tip (dual outlet?). So far it should flow much more freely than before as I have removed the 2 180 degree turns inside the pipe & cleaned up welds inside the header pipe. I haven't got to do much testing yet, but it does feel a bit better & didn't change the sound output much.

This is probably more effort than most people want to take for an unknown gain, but I enjoy doing this kind of stuff. Just wish I had a dyno available to produce some real numbers. Hopefully soon I can get some timed drags done & compare numbers.

Old 01-04-2001, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

I don't want u guys to start bashing on me or anything. I agree with you guys about people who get fellow quad riders kicked off trails, but if you had a choice to be loud or quiet what would you take. I know alot of people who would rather be louder. it just sounds cool. Just what i think don't get mad or anything.

Old 01-04-2001, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

year's ago there was this kid we rode with had this little xr100 i don t think he had any packing at all it was soo loud one day when he rode home like a mile away you could hear that bike hafe way there it was louder than the 250r we rode with way more than my 400 forman i had then and more so than the 200x i also rode with
this one guy had a raceing cr500r that wasn t as loud we couldn t stand to ride with him
the think is well if u read my last post on this subject u know were i stand and yes they are out to get us most of us know that the sledheads around here get away with most anything
us atver's might as well be hell's angels member's anyway thats how the cops treate us
if we don t watch it were going to make alot of non rider's dream come true don t help them they have all the backing they need and the people in the right places its an up hill battle look out for eachother were all in it togther there all powerful people helping the end of our sport to gain brownie points with the messes that just don t know there aren t any little guys with cone shaped hats popin out of the tall grass with AK 47's but this is war remember that
86 atc&4trx 250R