Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

86 Fourtrax 350 shifting problems

Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Fourtrax 350 shifting problems

I just aquired this machine from a friend recently. The thing has been sitting in a barn for about 4 years. I charged the battery and gave it a once over and after a little coaxing, she fired up. It seems like the starter clutch may be going because it catches on and off.

I went to take it for a ride and the thing is a bear to shift. Even with the motor off, it is hard to get it into any gear. Reverse seems about the easiest but going up into low and 1st I have to really horse it with my hand. I got it into 2nd gear and that's about it I can't get it any higher. It seems like the machine has to be moving pretty good to get it to shift. Also it seems a little easier if I keep the reverse lever engaged.

I have the Honda Service Manual but not an owner's manual, so is there something simple I'm missing or not doing. I am assuming that this is an automatic clutch- correct?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has a centrifugal clutch and it has a manual clutch ... The gearshift not only shifts gears but also disengages the manual clutch .. The clutch plates will stick even if it sits several days so I'd guess yours are stuck.. A good drive will usually free them , to test if they are stuck (with your foot) hold up or down on the gearshift and bleep the throttle if they are free the bike should rev up like it was in neutral , if it jumps with the throttle then the clutch is stuck ..

Old 08-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Range Rover

I wonder if the shift shaft where it passes through the side case has corroded or has dried dirt in it. You could try putting some penetrating oil on the shaft where it enters the case and work it in and out. It wont move much, but you might improve things a little that way, aside from removing the side case.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't read that right .. The shifter itself is hard to move .. Yes it's probably corroded where the gearshift shaft goes thru the aluminum case ...

Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, the shifter itself moves relatively easy. There is a good amount of play up and down, but it is very hard to engage the tranny. It seems to downshift easier but the upper gears are tough. I've gotten it into second gear while riding, but that is as high as I can get it. As I pull up on the lever while riding I can hear and feel it trying to engage but it just won't go.

If I just lift and hold the lever up as high as it will go, it will not engage into the higher gear but it does not move when I hit the throttle. It engages when I let the pressure off of the lever and let it rest. It will only engage into a higher gear if I give the lever a quick jerk upward and then I can only get it as high as 2nd gear if I'm lucky, usually its just reverse, neutral, low and 1st.

Just as a thought: Could this have anything to do with what I think is a bad starter clutch? Something is definitely flopping around in there and I wonder if it could affect the tranny?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

There is a shift component broken just inside the left engine cover. Most likely the shift collar is split, bent broken or the spring snapped.

-----gimpster-----

Old 08-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good. I was going to take the cover off anyway to see what is up with the starter clutch. So does it seem like the manual and centri clutches are o.k. from what I have described?

Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Range Rover

Yes, I would assume they are fine, they are pretty much trouble free and even if bad, shouldnt restrict the movement of the shifter. As far as your starter over running clutch (aka, one way clutch) you really cant "see" anything wrong MOST of the time, they just have to be replaced of not working properly.