Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 EX ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 EX ?

Wow... the plastics are super super edgy....

I'm digging them, but still digesting them too....

The seat looks nice.

I hate the 450R style headlight... but it looks much better on this bike than it does on the 450R.

I think dealers will now want to move previous models though....

Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400 EX ?

Hello everyone,

First time in the forum. I have a 06 400ex that I use to race and that bike is a great bike. I'ts a big tank but I love it. Next year I plan on getting the 450 if they come out with EFI. Just like another person I am waiting for it. 450 w/ efi will be the top sport quad.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400 EX ?

It looks like they made some changes to the frame on the new look 400 as well. Overall though I'm disappointed. They needed to go to liquid cooled and upgrade the suspension to pull even with the suzuki. EFI would have retaken the lead. New plastic and tweaking the existing suspension wasn't enough. The suzuki is the better bike again this year.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400 EX ?

You don't just add liquid cooling, it would be a completely different engine, and there goes that bullet proof 400 engine out the window. If you want something with more oomph, get a 450. The 400ex isn't made to be the "beat all" of quads.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 EX ?

Well, a lot of people have mixed feelings about liquid cooling... and also EFI.

I'm one of them.
I think liquid cooling and EFI are great but they don't sway me yet in my decisions about small engines.

Like EFI... I think that is great on cars... until it's time to work on one... but look how many years it's been in that application now.
I remember when it wasn't so great early on...

So while I really like liquid cooling and EFI, I also can't deny that I also have a heavy appreciation for the simple, yet bulletproof engines, like the Honda 400 and Honda 300 to name a few. Less things to service and less things to worry about breaking on the trail. So there is something to be said for simplicity.

So I myself like the current state of things...
I like both the 400EX and the Z400-based quads and agree that the 400EX is more low tech... but there is nothing wrong with that.
I remain neutral here, and I'm just glad the choices are out there.

Honda and Suzuki are the only ones that even offer something in the 400cc class now.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400 EX ?

I kind of felt like you about liquid cooling and EFI...until I got my Rancher 420. It's no looking back now!

If the lowly Rancher has EFI, you know most of the lineup will have it in just a few years.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400 EX ?

I'm very iffy on EFI on a quad like the 400ex. On one hand I love the idea of EFI on most quads, and my next one will have it, but on the other hand I like the simplicity of a carb on a EX.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I don't really sway one way or the other on the EFI, but I don't want a new liquid cooled engine thrown in a 400ex, make a whole new quad if that's the case.