Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problem

ok guys about to pull my hair out over this quad. 1988 250x. Finally got it to spark but it still wont start. Gets fuel ok. Had dealer check the coil and stator and both checked out on their tests. If I pull the spark plug out and have my buddy kick it over while I watch the spark plug, it has a very small spark, if you don't pay attention you will miss it. Also doesn't spark everytime he kicks it over. Only bout every 4th or 5th time, I've held it in my hand several times and only got shocked once. Was wondering if it should spark everytime or is this normal? Should I replace the stator or the coil to get a better spark. This is the first time I've had to work on one like this and I don't know what I'm missing. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Range Rover
Default starting problem

if your getting intermitent spark, I would suspect either a loose connection or a CDI.
The coils on these things "almost" never fail. Usually a failure of the coil is from physical damage.
If the stator checked out ok and all conections are good, replace the CDI.

Theres one other thing you can try, but I dont think it will be the problem.
Disconnect the reverse indicator switch on the lower right side of the engine and see if that helps.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default starting problem

Thanks, HondaTechnician for the reply. The reverse switch doesn't have any wires hooked to it, previous owner had raced it and took alot of stuff off it. Also I have already replaced the cdi with one off another 250x from the repair shop, they said the bike ran when they pulled the harness, ect. off, so it should be good. It has the spark problem no matter which cdi is hooked up. Am I missing something? Or should I suck it up and buy a NEW cdi (ouch!)? I think I'velearned my lesson on buying someone else's headache, lol. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 AM
Range Rover
Default starting problem

Is the reverse inhibitor still hooked to the harness? It could be causing the problem.
If you have tried a known good CDI on it, and still have problems, then it will be the reverse inhibitor, or the pulse generator, or a bad connection.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default starting problem

Thanks Honda Technician. Where would I find the reverse inhibiter? I've looked in the Clymers manual and it shows the 300ex having one but not the 250x. I've checked all of the connections and am ready to cut the wires and wire them together to do away with the harness connections ( I really don't want to do this but I'm starting to get frustrated). I replaced the coil today with a NEW one and it sparks more often now, but it is still weak, I can hold it in my hand and it just tingles when its kicked over, but it is sparking more, just weak. Also checked the valve adjustment and it was whithin specs (.10). Any ideas?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default starting problem

check the most obvious things first. get a new plug, or check to make sure the gap width on the plug is correct. also check the plug wire for loose or crappy connection. after that go into the more $ parts.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default starting problem

thank you trunner. I have tried 2 new plugs and just put on a new coil today that came with the wire already attached. The plug cap was checked at a repair shop and resistance was within spec. They also checked the stator and it was fine. I have replaced the cdi and wire harness with ones that were supposed to be good ( bought from same repair shop) Reverse switch doesn't have any wires on it, they aren't even hooked up to the harness, headlight and tail light had been removed and wireing was unplugged from the harness. Ignition and start/kill switch had been removed, replaced with a teathered kill switch. This one has me stumped. When I kick it over it tries to fire every once in a while, but my leg is tired after about 20 or so kicks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. If I remove the spark plug after that it has fuel on it so fuel is reaching the cylinder. Have tried starting fluid in the carb and also just a light squirt in the cylinder , neighter work. Just the usual 4 or 5 kicks, fires once or twice, then 5 or 6 more kicks, ect.. Any ideas?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]