Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Low in torque mod. for Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low in torque mod. for Rubicon

I use this machine as a workhorse not a speed demon always pulling or hauling somthing seldom see's over 15 mph.
Any suggestions on low end torque mod. without dramatically increasing fuel consumption?
Currently totally stock except for pulling the spark arrestor out when it was new.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did more harm than good, removing the arrestor. Exhaust back pressure favors low end torque (up to a point)!!! In my old Warrrior days, we would put a "torque stuffer" in the exhaust system to increase pressure. A longer header will do the same thing. So will an FMF PowerBomb/MegaBomb.

It's shaft drive, so you can't change gear ratios either.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Now you tell me.
Most of my mechanical experiance has been on diesel's (Peterbilts & Powerstokes) and removing back pressure has always increased HP.
Granted, my quad is not a Pete with a 444 cummins that's why I am here asking the dumb questions and telling on myself. LOL

Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

I guess an easy fix would be to replace the muffler with an aftermarket (that has all the guts) any suggestions?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Red Rider

Releasing back pressure will get you more horsepower...but on the high end!

For example, the old style mufflers with baffles (eg. FMF Megamax), are "tunable" because you could decrease the number of baffles for low end, or increase the number for high end (and a lot more noise!).

Did you do a rejet when you took the arrestor out??? Maybe you are running lean??? Do a plug check before you put it back in. Is the plug light colored, brown, or black????

Old 10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

I did not do a rejet. I have felt that it is running lean but could not figure out why. I will pull the plug this afternoon and post back tonight.

Should I have done a rejet when I pulled the spark arrester?

If so, should I rejet or replace the spark arrester and leave the carb. alone?

Looks like we may be finally getting to the bottom of this and the root of the problem is ME. No big shock there.

Many years ago I had a small eng. tech. tell me that he makes a small futune working on small eng. that have clogged spark arresters and that his fix has always been to pull it and he advised me to always pull the spark arresters in small eng. when new so that I never have that problem (unless I am taking the machine to CA.) I always have and this is the first time I have had this problem.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Red Rider

When you pull the arrestor out, it flows more air out the back end so the ideal air/fuel mixture is disturbed (to much air for the amount of gas). A lean engine will run hot, and if it is to hot, it will melt a hole right through the top of the piston!

Just pulling the arrestor probably didn't have to great an effect, if you didn't also increase the air intake (like pulling the airbox lid off or installing a high flow air filter). Do do a plug check though. A lean plug will be light colored.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I plan on rejeting. I am at the fire station today but I will take the plug out in the AM and see what it looks like.